Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tracing a shape imported from png file

rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
A friend of mine created a png file of a 2D shape outline using Inkscape. I'd like to use that shape in a sketch so I can extrude it. Is there a way to do that?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    You can import on image and put it on a sketch plane then trace it. 
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    There is another thread with an example.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/33693

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • rex_hansonrex_hanson Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks for answering my question. Sorry I'm not too enthused with the answer.

I was hoping to have something that would allow me to simply select the edges. Better yet, select the middle and automatically grab the entire profile. Manually adding a bunch of points around the perimeter is tedious and error prone. There is the added problem that some of the edges are straight and some are curved. So putting a spline through them will have to be in a piecewise fashion in order to get the straight sections straight.

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @rex_hanson - I understand and apologize for the fact that Onshape might not do exactly what you're looking for.

I also don't want you to wait around for the 'next' 3 weekly update only to be disappointed each time - our pro users have given us a long list of production-necessary requirements that we will be working on for a while and to be frank, this isn't on the list.

Have you tried looking at some of softwares that come with desktop engravers? These applications tend to be more along the lines of supporting the type of functionality that you are looking for (specifically turning pictures into toolpath with z height grading)

At the hobby-level, Fusion360 can read SVG files and generate an outline.
    At the pro-level, Mastercam can do what you're looking for - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8_RnHlsJo
    There are probably others in both categories

I hope this helps you.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    If it's in Inscape as paths why don't you export as a dxf rather than png and import into Onshape that way?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    So my friend exported the shape as a dxf. I was able to upload that and then import it into my sketch. But now when I try to extrude it the extrusion fails. I then tried to use the offset tool and it won't create an offset. It allows me to select the edges, but it won't create an offset. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what!
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @rex_hanson

Can you post the URL of your document with the DXF in it here? It'll be easier to help if we can see what's going on.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    It turns out there were two or three points that were not coincident. That crossing line trick is nice. Thank you!
  • tj_thornileytj_thorniley Member Posts: 65
    FYI, Mobile (Android) App Developers:

Was able to open it in Google Chrome long enough to save a copy though. Just thought you should know.
  • vondes_vodesvondes_vodes Member Posts: 1
    how its work in the mobile-phone-tracker on Android?