Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

sketching rectangles with non-vertical sides

123_456660123_456660 Member Posts: 31 EDU
I posted this a little while ago in improvement requests, but I think I should also post it here, as there is a chance that a solution already exists that I do not know about. https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/7865/sketch-rectangle-with-non-vertical-sides#latest

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I think i may be able to help :)

The trick is to delete the horizontal constraint :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • 123_456660123_456660 Member Posts: 31 EDU
    I already knew this, It just becomes a huge pain to delete all the constraints each time.
    oh wait nvm. i thought there were 4 constraints.
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I think this shows some of Onshape's philosophy.  Why have a complicated interface with every option if the workflow is this simple?   I like it.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    @bruce_williams you make a good point. having thought about how easy it was for me to learn os, it is the simplicity that makes os much better. you are right in what you said. I think this is what happened to ptc creo, and it takes more time in creo to search through the endless menus to find something that was made to save time.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    We have a modifier key "alt" that constrains our corner point rectangle into a square...  Perhaps there could be another modifier to allow the non vertical sides.  We would need three clicks though, other wise we'd just have a line.  Scratch that idea, that was rubbish. 

OK, take 2, how about a "Three Point Rectangle" tool, much like the existing three point circle function?

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd