Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Italics in Part Studio Features panel, what does it mean?

I have a situation with a part I am working on in Part Studio. In the Features panel, past a certain point items are listed in italics. Firstly, this is NOT things having hidden visibility like with planes and sketches - it's something different. When you go to edit the item, it doesn't show any of the configuration in the dialog panel for that feature. So for example, associates elements don't show. They aren't missing per se and the feature still works. You can also add or change things and this takes. But those don't show up either if you go back and edit it again. Even adding new elements all start out this way. If you delete an element and recreate it, it's still stuck in this mode.

I can find no reference to this anywhere. Is there a setting or something that I could have accidentally toggled? Is there some element with some sort of error somewhere? I'm not getting anything in red or saying it didn't generate, so I don't think there is an error somewhere.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,379
    Are you in rollback mode? Is there a bar above your features in italics? This is used to insert features before others. Right click and select roll to end. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    joseph_illingworthjoseph_illingworth Member Posts: 2
    I have this issue, and it's really urgent. Everything after trying to extrude the face of the mirrored part is grayed out and italicized. Cannot create sketches on face of mirrored part now, and when I select the face to extrude it says "face of mirror 2" instead of "face of part 14" and fails to retrieve any of the info I orginally put into the feature when I made it. Absolutely no functionality right now.

• Options
    The list down the left is time or history dependent - when you edit extrude18 the other features do not exist yet
  • Options
    joseph_illingworthjoseph_illingworth Member Posts: 2
    No, they were all grayed out even when I wasnt inside the extrude 18 dialogue box. But a couple hours later I reopen the document and it works. Who knows :/, maybe a glitch
  • Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    The features might have been in the process of regenerating after you had edited the feature.
    When they are regenerating, they show as greyed out.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    lamar_dunlaplamar_dunlap Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone given a good answer as to why the Features panel has some items italicized and in grey. I ask because the functionality of the features aren't working while in this grey state. Is there a way to get it back to normal?
  • Options
    @lamar_dunlap are you in rollback state? You may see a grey bar above the grey features - right click and select roll to end.

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @lamar_dunlap
    If you aren't in rollback state (there is no grey bar above the greyed-out features), the greyed-out features may be in the process of regenerating. The process of regenerating can take a while.
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Refreshing browser worked for me. - Scotty
  • Options
    Object_MageObject_Mage Member Posts: 13 EDU
    I had the exact same issue and refreshing the browser worked for me to. Shouldn't have to refresh the browser constantly thats annoying.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    This happens to me as well from time to time. I chalked it up as a glitch, as everything behaved normally except the features were grey/italc..

Hard to repeat. But if it hapens again i'll try and retrace my steps and find at least one cause.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    The features will show in grey if they are in the process of regenerating.  This should be accompanied by a spinner, so if there is no spinner it is definitely a bug.  Refreshing fixes this because the feature list/geometry data won't be sent until the regeneration is finished, so the feature list you receive (upon reload) must already be done regenerating by the time it gets to you.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    chris_fehringchris_fehring Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I just had the same problem with a variable that I just added and then moved up towards the top of a part with lots of features, some of which depend on the variable.  Features weren't in the process of regenerating (no spinner).  Browser refresh fixed the issue.  
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @chris_fehring @john_mcclary and others in this thread,

I spend some time trying to reproduce this and was unsuccessful.  If you can come up with reliable reproduction steps, please post them here.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team