Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Move Face does not show me a preview of the new location (nor does it move the face)

Paul_99Paul_99 Member, OS Professional Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited April 2015 in Community Support
I select a face. (or a group of faces) and then select the "move face tool" and my faces show up in the list of the window. I can sometimes get Translate to work (not sure why it worked when it did that one time - or seemed to) but Offset lets me pick a direction and drag the arrow even changes the Offset amount but I do not get a preview (no matter how I change the slider for contrast) and I get no resulting move of the face.
THicken gives me the same fake out.
File Origin is an STL file (that 3d printed great and looks good in the OS interface)
Firefox 36.0.4
Mac 10.9.5
shared with support

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul_99Paul_99 Member, OS Professional Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Classic... you give up a little and then it comes to you. The shape was constrained and my movements were too fast for my connection and took the shape through so much space that the constraint reduced it to zero area... Cool. I guess UX wise it might be cool to see various steps in the movement so I can watch it get smaller and smaller to make sense of the transformation I was asking for without knowing. Instead a fast mouse move just gets the result not the phases toward that. In this case that made it look like it had done nothing.
    AAARG! Multiple Faces do not want to move... The arrow to change direction seems fickle but even when it finally flipps it will not tugg the parts out...
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    can you share the doc?  babart77@gmail.com
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    shared. Thanks!

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I had a look and the file has translated as surfaces. Onshape does not have surface capability yet.
    Might have luck if stitched together and re-imported.

I can try for you tomorrow when I am back on my CAD machine if you like?

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    Hey Bruce! That would be great... Is the idea to pull it down to another program, dismantle it into some constituent parts and bring it back? Are we working around some Key limitations to OS? I want to understand better (I'm happy to be sent to some explanitory video or the like I just don't have the vocabulary and framing well enough to get started self-teaching at this level. make sense?

Bruce... what did you see?
    I'm not certain, My optical engineer did it probably in rhinocad? ProtoLab had no problem printing from it... but some companies are having a hard time reading the file. Is this par for the course with CAD file formats? hard to get them to play together?

Thanks for giving it a go! I appreciate it.