Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mcmaster Carr Integration (and other online vendors)

John_CarverJohn_Carver Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
It would be amazing to have mcmaster carr model integrations and also the ability to generate BOMs that tie into their system for purchase.

Comments

• daniel_splawskidaniel_splawski Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    It looks like you can simply import the solid works models from Mcmaster Carr's website.  
  • oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @billy2 @daniel_splawski @John_Carver

OpenBOM is going to introduce integration with McMaster, which will become available for Onshape users via OpenBOM integrated app. Stay tuned... 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    It's the easiest database I used to find parts, far easier than current ISO and ANSI system in the standard content but I still want 1 source of the truth with standard content, and also no threads on bolts is a big plus for standard content too.  It would be great if somehow you could lay a vendors part numbers over the standard content i.e. switching on a vendors part number description for your company, most MRP system would have this property too. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    It's the easiest database I used to find parts, far easier than current ISO and ANSI system in the standard content but I still want 1 source of the truth with standard content, and also no threads on bolts is a big plus for standard content too.  It would be great if somehow you could lay a vendors part numbers over the standard content i.e. switching on a vendors part number description for your company, most MRP system would have this property too. 

@brucebartlett

We would love to do what you're asking and place Vendor information in Onsahpe standard content. We just need to have Onshape API to support it. Meantime we are waiting for API to become available in 1.75. It was a mistake not to release API together with features. I can see reasons why Onshape did it, but we said it to Onshape and I hope it will be a good lesson for the future. 

Meantime, please check our blog from today. It gives  you some idea about our first step in integration with McMaster and other online catalogs. 

https://medium.com/@openbom/openbom-and-mcmaster-carr-parts-d07e746133ee

Few important points: 

1- OpenBOM data model enhanced to support flexible mapping between Part # in OpenBOM Part catalog (fka Inventory) and BOM. So, you will see how we can map directly to Onshape Part Number 

2- We extract data from McMaster and create Part in OpenBOM Part catalog 

3- Part Catalogs can be created now from Onshape Docs and Assemblies (no only Part Studios as before)  - more about tomorrow in the blog. 

As always, Bruce - look forward for your comments and feedback. 

UPDATE. OpenBOM integration with McMaster is not available anymore. If you have questions, please contact oleg@openbom.com