Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Removing area between spokes on a flywheel

michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
I need input on how to pattern the cutout on this flywheel so as to make 6 spokes 60° apart.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fe2afb5f55cf42489278c204/w/9b61b5b5367d48cb90f9cdf2/e/afb05abda9724f4793070458

I've been approaching this sort of part design roughly the way it would be machined from solid, but perhaps that is not the best way to go with OnShape.  In any case, the area between two adjacent spokes has been Extrude Removed and I was assuming that the extrude cut could be patterned around the rest of the flywheel but that's not working for me.  Am I missing something in patterning a feature around a part, should it be approached differently or is this just not possible in OnShape yet?

Mike

Best Answers

Answers

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    That was quick!  Thanks, off to try it now.

Mike
    Thanks - that worked just fine.  It does seem a little unnatural compared to the way I think such things should be done but it's something that can be adjusted to.  I'm used to either patterning features within a sketch and then extrude cutting the collection or patterning the extrude cut (extrude subtract in OnS).

If OnS is listening, are there any plans to add patterns to sketches?

mike

Yes.  They should be in sooner than later.
    Thanks Jake
    @Michael3424
    In this specific scenario, the method I shared is definitely a workaround pending sketch patterns becoming available, but it's a technique which in some contexts would be valuable to know.

BTW, if I modelled the flywheel I would personally use a revolve; that way a single sketch and a single feature would replace your first four of each.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the revolve.  That part could definitely benefit from a different approach than I used.

Mike
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    You could also use Circular pattern of faces to cut holes on your flywheel. Check this sawblade model https://cad.onshape.com/documents/cc6f7280293e4e6ea020f4ee/w/8525ed8cca38416c9babb2c4
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @3dcad: I tried applying that method to the OP's model prior to making my more primitive (boolean subtraction) suggestion.
    It did not work because the faces which need to be patterned are not specific to an individual spoke, but shared; they extend right around the model. This is a limitation of "Face" patterns which I had discovered in another connection and raised a ticket accordingly.