Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Step version on export ap214 ... 242

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
edited December 2017 in General
I suppose Onshape exports step ap 214 which is enough for data transfer between two modelers. 

Step ap 242 would hold more information and would be better choice for local archive. If I have understood things correctly ap 242 would hold also material information and other manufacturing information that could be read also with ERP or such to recognize and handle the archived files better than 'dumb solids'.  

For me it is not time for writing any IRs for this but I would like to raise some conversation on step ap 242 and it's benefits against 214.

Some information can be found here: http://www.ap242.org/
//rami
Tagged:

Comments

• MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    I'd rather use parasolid
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    This is very interesting Rami, looks like some big benefits here if ap242 does have the ability to export more than just the dumb solids with names and colours. It would be really enticing if more information could be reliably transferred between CAD systems. The reality is that there are always going to be multiple CAD systems and the better they can transfer information the better it will be for users. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @brucebartlett
    Yes, especially mating features would be awesome since it would enable using moving models between cad systems. Complete part feature history might be too much to ask. 
    It would be also nice to archive models / projects so that they hold manufacturing data if you ever need to get them back to production.
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:
    Absolutely, this is very exciting stuff. So much info is lost in the current exporting system whether it be step or parasolid, huge room for improvements. I love the concept of Onshape and sharing native doc's with the manufacturer but in practice, I keep finding that they just want to stay with there existing CAD system :'( . I am still hopeful that as more user become knowable in Onshape and Onshape improves, people will be more willing to take it on but as of this point, I am constantly asked for step or para-solid files as this is the normal way to do business. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    I'm still struggling to get those 3d models in any format :cry:
    They always think that I'm gonna build those cnc machines or components/mechanism myself - if they used Onshape they could share and still keep the control on models.
    //rami
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    edited April 2018
    UP!

I did not find any use for the AP242 STEP files, until yesterday. I found a new start-up supplier who CNCs parts without 2D drawing as their primary business case. This way the order and production process can be fully automated, and therefore faster and cheaper. For now, only thread data is extracted from AP242 files that are sent to them, but it is the first application of AP242 files I encountered. The rest of the variables such as materials are entered in the online quoting process (which is awesome on itself). As they are a start-up company, they are still doing some manual checks in the process to see if their systems functions correctly, and I was able to add a PDF with thread data as Onshape cannot make these files yet.

What do you guys think? Improvement request?

EDIT: They are referring to the protocol as: AP242 protocol, JT or ISO 14739-1:2014.
    edited April 2018
    That cnc shop sounds amazing, 3D models are finally arriving to replace paper.. 

@mike_hölscher
    Are you familiar with MBD? 
    It should be next generation's drawings and if you could transfer that data between systems using step ap242 that would be awesome. 

Everybody talks how AI and AR and robots will change the world 'tomorrow' but I suppose they don't work with A4 and pdf  =)
    //rami
  • mike_hölschermike_hölscher Member Posts: 105 PRO
    3dcad said:
    That cnc shop sounds amazing, 3D models are finally arriving to replace paper.. 

@mike_hölscher
    Are you familiar with MBD? 
    It should be next generation's drawings and if you could transfer that data between systems using step ap242 that would be awesome. 

Everybody talks how AI and AR and robots will change the world 'tomorrow' but I suppose they don't work with A4 and pdf  =)
    The shop IS amazing. First of its kind as far as I know. They are still starting up and only allow import of thread data from STEP AP242. But once they integrate more and more it will be even more awesome.

Yes, Model Based Definition is actually the functionality in AP242 I am looking for.
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    Is that any different than what Protolabs prides themselves on? You can upload a solid model in multiple formats and have the part made via CNC in a handful of days.

I haven't dug much into the file formats, but that certainly does sound interesting!
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Yes please to all of the above.

I watched the first part of a documentary about Shenzhen last night.

Takeaways:-
    In the 40 year time-frame discussed the presenter stated that the road outside his house in London had been resurfaced.
    In the same 40 years Shenzhen went from fields to skyscrapers encompassing the manufacturing capitol of the world.
    Running jokes locally "Our university doesn't have a history dept. as we only look forward", "Even when you're sleeping Shenzhen is evolving".

Meanwhile in the west we're still using PDF's on bits of A4 paper that are obsolete before they've even finished printing and seem to care more about tweeting photos of our cappuccinos than catching up. 

Conclusion:-
    We're at risk of being about as relevant as Blockbuster VHS rentals unless we get our act together soon.

Summary:-
    Yes please to AP214, MBD and anything that drags us out of the 19th century.
    Cheers, Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    edited December 2019
    @owen_sparks
    That is so true - though in Finland we are not getting roads resurfaced but rather change them back to gravel (in distant areas).

The gap between innovative startups and 'real world' is huge, we all know and see videos about possibilities of 3d printing, collaboration robots, etc. but the reality is still about struggling to make network printer to work properly with new workstation.

Onshape is next step, if they would rule the world (step) files would be obsolete. Maybe PTC could come up with new standard (API?) on database based cad format to exchange data between system keeping mating-, history- & other attached data with the model. 

I wish Onshape would lead the way out of the woods by making the ultimate MBD so good that it just makes printing a thing of the past.  

ps. I would be happy to write some more thoughts here but I'm busy, those drawings are not going to dimension themselves and I need to fill up printer with paper too  :s
    //rami