Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating a loft surface

joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 23 PRO
Not having much success creating a surface of the geometry in orange. The red arrow points to the geometry I would like to use for the path / guide.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Probable cause is where the two profiles meet at each corner. The surface may be self-intersecting. 

Have you tried fill surface with guides?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    I would guess it's some trivial mistake, you've picked profile in a way that it's one and the same, or if it's a chain of curves, each one is picked as separated profile or a similar mistake. It also could be that starting and ending profile conditions don't match your guide geometry. The last thing might be lack of proper constraints in sketches (pierce). Beyond that, we would need to have an access to that example.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @joep, I suspect that document is set to be private not public.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 23 PRO
    Hi Owen, The arrow is pointing at the shorter upright curve. It looks like the smooth surface I am looking for. Kind of difficult to see in the photo. I'll look at the model.  Thanks

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,305
    Hi @joep - can you include the "plughole" in that network of curves? Creating a 4 sided patch is infinitely easier than any other type of surface.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • joepjoep Member, csevp Posts: 23 PRO
    Hi Neil, I just tried Owens suggestion, it created the results I was looking for. Thanks