Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

get name of feature

billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO

Is there any way to get the name of a feature and then set the name of a part using featurescript?

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Unfortunately no. Our view is that changing the feature name should not cause a regeneration of the feature, and therefore feature functionality cannot depend on the feature name.

You can, however, go the other direction and set the feature name through the feature. Check out how the Variable feature uses "Feature Name Template" and setFeatureComputedParameter(). You could imagine a user input which sets both the body name and the feature template name. Depending on your needs (and the needs of others who read this later), that could accomplish a similar goal.

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @billy2

If you down Kevin's route and want to name the surfaces in your FS feature, you can do so with the `setProperty` function, using `PropertyType.NAME`:
    https://cad.onshape.com/FsDoc/library.html#setProperty-Context-map
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Thanks, I just want to associate the surfaces with the feature script that created them, I think I can get this to work.