Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly Total Weight

AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
I can assign type of material to a part and get the weight of the part okay. 
How do I get the total weight of the assembly? 
Is there not a way to show the part weights in a BOM?

Best Answer

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Yes you can assign material, but this is done in the part studio not the assembly. to assign material RMB on the part in the part list and change your material there. You can also create and upload your own library of materials if you can not find what you're looking for. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • AuroraRonAuroraRon Member Posts: 120 PRO
    That works, thanks. I see I can select parts in the assembly now. So easy, but was missed anyway. ;-)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    As @brucebartlett was saying, in order to calculate mass you need a material set. Otderwise it will ignore that part in the calculation

You should see a message that says some parts have no mass if that is the case
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    You can also get to the material properties in the assembly by expanding the BOM flyout adding a material column and clicking in the material cell.

I have also created some stock material libraries now so I can use the material library to find my stock and get the density set based on the material I chose. I.e I have an Australian Sheet and Plate library which list all the different size plates set with the corresponding density, in this case, they are all the same but at least I don't have to think about setting the density.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977