Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Distributing a series of parts

steve_groomsteve_groom Member Posts: 5
I have created a design for a large box, the bottom of the box is made up of thirteen boards that are spaced out across the width of the box. The box has a mate connector aligned with a rabbet across the boxes’ width. I then have 13 parts (the boards) matched to the same mate connector using a slider mate.

This allows me to slide the boards into position - there is a slight gap between each board. But the spacing is not easy to get 100% even.

This was a lot of steps and I was wondering is there is a better way to evenly distribute a number of parts along a slider mate
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thank you for the quick response. I had not come across Linear Patterns. That gets pretty close to a solution, but the resulting parts are not mated, so if I move the back of the box, the base boards are left behind. 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @steve_groom

Can you use Group?  If you do not need the boards to move independently that should be perfect.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/28050bca2b1ddeb0acbab720/w/72369ffa7faabbf84de28ab1/e/2ac9b2d481dcced12fc4252f

See above link for an example of linear pattern in assembly.
    You will need to mate the "seed" part to the back board you want to move with
  • Options
    Thanks’ for all the responses. In the end I created a subassembly with three parts - end board, mid board, end board. I then used a fastened connector to connect end board to first mid board, then a linear pattern to repeat the mid boards and finally another fastened connector to complete the subassembly.

best
    Steve 
  • Options
    @steve_groom

Can you use Group?  If you do not need the boards to move independently that should be perfect.
    If I were to start from scratch and the parts started out aligned, the group would have been the easiest option. I find the mates approach allows me to get everything neatly oriented. So much more to learn.

Regards
    Steve