Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Customising Interface Behaviour

andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
It has just occurred to me that there is a potential trap if the modelling behaviour is made customisable (which in principle I would prefer).

The downside would be that collaborative sessions, one of the big attractions of Onshape, could become quite confusing, because in many cases, only one of the participants would experience the behaviour they were used to interacting with.

Comments

• traveler_hauptmantraveler_hauptman Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    It depends on what aspect of the interface one is customizing, but I think generally this is not true. Roughly, all the magic happens in the cloud. two collaborators with different interfaces will still be interacting with the same sketch elements, features, and parts. granted, if I have a tool in my interface that hovers supplier price and availability over off the shelf parts in the assembly and you do not, then something more is needed, but I expect stuff like that to be a sharable plug-in type of thing.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of potential future customisation of the on-screen behaviour of the basic interface.

Things like feature tree layout and behaviour, whether verticals stay vertical when you mouse-rotate the model, and suchlike.

Maybe there are not many, but I do think its a consideration if and when those decisions come up.
    It's always best to pre-empt the fox entering the hen-house.
  • lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Andrew_Troup We have plans to being incorporating user settings.  We understand the power of providing a place for you to customize the experience for things like zoom direction, background color, etc and will be adding that in the future.  These settings follow the CADANYWHERE idea that not only are you cadding where you want but your settings are also centralized. 
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • moengineeringmoengineering Member Posts: 23
    Hello,

user settings are nice, but if you are working directly on another screen to show anybody anything you have to search a lot for the icons. If every screen looks similar, you dont have to search anything. Thats very good!

Example: I have to show my customer how to do something special: I log in his computer via Teamviewer and see his screen. I want to show him a really simple thing but first of all I have to search the right button on his costumized screen.

best regards
    martin
  • frédéricfrédéric Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    @moEngineering and so every car or any product on earth should only exist in only one version because eventually you could use the one of another people..??!!!  and OnShape parameters won't change completely the way you work with it..

for collaborative sessions, each one see OS through his own computer with his own parameters, so no problem.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    For Onshape I would prefer some customization, this would ease up if using also other cad packages. For example I would like to have tools in right side.

But I can see a problem there if someone who's tools would be on top, shows me on follow mode how to do something and pick's up a tool from his menu..
    Maybe it's better to just adjust yourself to Onshape.

And for the cars @frederic - what a great idea! And they are mostly the same, think of situation if you didn't know if a rental car has a steering wheel or joystick or may it have mirrored behavior.. It's good to have standards as long as they are the good ones.
    //rami
  • moengineeringmoengineering Member Posts: 23
    @frédéric no, don't get me wrong. 

If you have 10 users and every screen looks different, you have to search a lot. 

for collaborative sessions, each one see OS through his own computer with his own parameters, so no problem.

Thats true. But has nothing to do with my point of view:

Example: I have to show my customer how to do something special: I log in his computer via Teamviewer and see his screen. I want to show him a really simple thing but first of all I have to search the right button on his costumized screen.

That has nothing to do with collaborative sessions.

best regards
    martin
    ok, but I don't think that OnShape "customization" is about changing the tool buttons, but eventually add some for personal scripts/macros later or change screen colors and ok, maybe change the buttons position.. not a big deal, but I understand your point, you probably will have to search a little if all the buttons are completely rearrange.
    maybe you could ask for a simple way to switch from standard to personal interface, but you can't expect the standard interface to please everyone..

3dcad said:
    And for the cars @frederic - what a great idea! And they are mostly the same, think of situation if you didn't know if a rental car has a steering wheel or joystick or may it have mirrored behavior.. It's good to have standards as long as they are the good ones.
    you don't have to invent anything illogic, that wasn't my point. but simply try to give a car with no key (you know, one with a card for example) to someone who never see one...
    Frederic: If I understood correctly we agree with the car example?

In my opinion it's better to wait and get the important stuff in before building interface customization features..  
    //rami
    @3dcad > not really.. I talked about customization and you talked about transforming the cars into something completely different !
    like on French Peugeot and Renault car brands : on one you set the wiper by moving the comodo up and it's by moving it down on the other. and there are many others "little" details like that. they still both are cars, but people like more one or the other..
    I was just talking about small details customization on OS, like screen colors and tool icon position. not transforming it in a word processing or don't know what else.

@frederic I think Peugeot should take away 90% of the buttons on steering wheel / dashboard = follow the other manufacturers. And I find it very disturbing that when you rent a car and can't even get the wipers on when truck splahes mud onto your windscreen @120 km/h. Let's not make Onshape like this.
    //rami