Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Model movement in assembly

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
Played around with ABB robot model, here's link for public:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/02d071301d9a4348906da9a7/w/cc55576b92f24417b55dd850/e/10914701a5b54980a9027a4c

Notes:
+ Onshape is awesome
+ Mate connectors are awesome
- We definitely need mate limits
- Model movement needs some enhancement

I think this model is good example of how easily Onshape can save money. Grab robot from web, sketch your work cell, create assembly and test. All can be done in only few hours - without having to buy anything!! When we bought our first robot in 1990, it took months to plan workcell considering robots movement limitations and reach.

Only problem currently is that I found it pretty difficult to move the robot from the end of arm (where gripper/tool connects). I don't know exactly how it could be better, but I hope someone with more knowledge of this type of work could give some ideas to Ons team.

It feels like I would need more directions to move and possibility to turn view while moving. Try the model yourself and comment.

I would also like to see 'Reset All mates' which would reset whole assembly position in default. I tried to select all mates and hit reset, but it didn't work like that. Only resetting one by one got the result.
//rami

Comments

• 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    After playing a while, I found it easier to move when I select tool holder and arm. So I need to first set axis 5 and 6 and then select whole arm for moving.
    //rami
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2015
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @3dcad @Malay Kumar +1 on the 'reset all mates' = genius!  :smile: 
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    Reset mate currently has issues when applied to more than one mate. However we should be able to fix it.

Some day I would like to have functionality to move mechanism using user defined motion profile or set more than one mate to desired values. But until then selecting multiple components and dragging is probably best shot to put mechanism in desired state. Also you should be able to change view orientation and zoom while dragging using arrow keys, middle and right mouse button.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited April 2015
    @3dcad @Malay Kumar +1 on the 'reset all mates' = genius!  :smile: 
    I'd have to agree, I'am loving the mate reset and also the "reorient secondary axis" in revolute mate dialogue 
    @Philip Thomas @Malay Kumar 

Turning robot accidentally to very difficult position was the first time I wanted to 'close the file without saving and open again'. But reset mates would fix this.

I had also another idea which would serve many other things as well:
    Animated movement from mate to another - what do you think?

//rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:

Turning robot accidentally to very difficult position was the first time I wanted to 'close the file without saving and open again'. But reset mates would fix this.

I had also another idea which would serve many other things as well:
    Animated movement from mate to another - what do you think?

Et tu, Brute?
    I've found myself wanting an "Undo last drag", and also "Undo last viewpoint change".... particularly in large complex models
    3dcad said:

Even better just use your history list to go back though drags. image
    Ctrl Z on drags works well too.image
    Thanks for reminding @BruceBartlett
    What do you think of my request for 'animated movement when changing from mate to another or changing mate offset'?
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3dcad said:
    Thanks for reminding @BruceBartlett
    What do you think of my request for 'animated movement when changing from mate to another or changing mate offset'?
    Absolutely. Ideally together with configurable mates. (We don't want much .... but at least we want it NOW!  ;) )