Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Imported SW file placed far from origin

dan_wilsondan_wilson Member Posts: 2
I recently imported a part designed in SW and in the Onshape environment it was placed 151 mm from the origin. Is there a simple way to move the part so it is not so far from the origin.

I have tried to copy the part and then paste it on the front plane near the origin, but I cannot find the paste function.

I have tried the linear pattern tool as a work around as it provides two axes of direction control, but then I'm still left with the original part far away from the origin.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dan W.

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited October 2014
    Put it in an assembly and position it at the origin, wait nope, that doesn't work. There is no easy way.

The hard way:
    1. create a block in a part studio so that one of its corners is zero.
    2. import this into an assembly, now you can pick the zero corner, should match assembly origin.
    3. put your part into the same assembly and mate it to your block so that the zero corner corresponds to your parts origin.
    4. export it through parasolids and bring it back into OS.

While you are positioning your part, you'll want to flip it about the x-axis 90 degrees so that up is up.

In an assembly, they haven't exposed the root planes & origin so you can't pick them yet. It's coming.

Good luck,
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    I will add you to the request @dan_wilson‌ ...
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.