Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Release Management Customization

adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
edited July 2018 in Product Feedback
In order to align Workflow with existing Processes at a company Release Management. I know this has been mentioned before, just wanted to formalize it as an IR and provide some wish-list features:

-Customize Workflow
    -Add States and Transitions
    -Add Workflows and jump handlers
    -Rename State/Status
    -Allow/force scheme for Version Numbers

-Customize Revision Scheme
   -Allow multi-level schemes  ie. 002.A
   -Dynamically transition and increment schemes levels
   -Set rules for events

-Customize Part Number Scheme
   -Allow Multiple Schemes
   -Allow Multi-section schemes (Currently only two,
   -  XXXX-YY-1234
   -Formal Selection of Separator between sections (Dash, Comma, Space, Underscore, period, etc...)
   -Allow Sections to be linked to a Property in the component

-Release Candidate Dialog
    -Automatically assigned Approver based on criteria (Project, Team, Label...)
    -Automatically Assign Released Name based on rules or scheme (think Change Order)

-Other
   -Ability to Lock/Sync between Model (Part or Assembly) and corresponding Drawing
       -This ensures the sync of Revision counter

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
CAD Engineering Manager

Comments

• lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    edited August 2018
    @adrian_velazquez much of the is on our radar and the first few iterations are about building the foundation and release flow so it can be built up to support workflows, more revision types, triggers, part numbers etc.  Much more to come in future releases.  As much of these are a wish list, adding it to our improvement area is not really going to be helpful for voting as we typically tie these to single features.  I brought it here for dialog.
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    Thanks for the update Lou, I figured that was why. My post started as a single request for custom workflows but turned into this as I started typing.

As I mentioned, I've heard that most of this were in the works, but not sure how one could do something to help them get prioritized.

Any possibility us curious critters could get road-map visibility? Similar to what Office 365 does would be nice:

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-roadmap?filters=

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Came here to request major and minor releases. I think that's what's meant here by "Allow multi-level schemes" and "Dynamically transition and increment schemes levels"

I made a custom scheme that's formatted "0.00" so that anything after the decimal is a minor release, like a 3D print, and anything before it is a major release, like an official design review or placing a PO for a part. As it stands now, if I release my top-level assembly in a major release, then I'll have to manually go to each part and increment the number to the next major release number (i.e. 1.00 instead of 0.01, which would come up automatically). It would be awesome to have a way to tell Onshape that I want this whole release to be "major" or "minor".

Anybody else have a good system figured out? I'm definitely still learning a lot and working on mine.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Stefan_DMSStefan_DMS Member Posts: 48 PRO
    I can't remember what post this was on but there was a discussion about using a letter-number system. So like A01, A02, A03... B01, B02, B03... C01 etc.
    Every major release you would need to type in the first B01, C01... or you can do it the other way around to 001A, 001B, 001C....