Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practice, ball bearing model from import

I have a project that will require the use of shielded ball bearings.  I downloaded a model from the vendor website (I used solidworks format).  The model is imported into a part studio as individual components that make up the bearing.

I would like to have only a single instance of the bearing, and assign the part number from the vendor so I can insert it into an assembly and have only one reference to the part as a whole in the BOM.

I thought I could just boolean all the parts together, and then assign the part number to the result.  Well, the parts don't intersect so the boolean operation does not work.  I know I could group them in an assembly, but then there is no way to assign a part number to the group?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6a747034d48ef1346ad1bc1f/w/f3e1f23f6352b61fc6862fb3/e/eb98a4cc6162a6a9b1291cf2

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
    Ok so I came up with something that will work.  

I created an assembly of the bearing, and made a suitable group.  I then assigned a part number to the assembly using the tab.  Then using a structured BOM the part number shows up correctly and does not break down the assembly into all its parts.

Still wondering is there a better way to do this?
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    If all you need is a merged part could you just add a cylinder inside the existing parts such that that they now intersect? That way it will Boolean together.

Owen S
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    bill_de_la_vegabill_de_la_vega Member Posts: 20 EDU
    @owen_sparks I was just going to do that, but I thought there must be a better way.

@michael_mcclain that is a good idea about using the mfg. weight information.
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Whatever you do, delete them balls. Way too much useless information that will slow down drawings (if you make drawings)
  • Options
    michael_mcclainmichael_mcclain Member Posts: 198 PRO
    Yep, I always hollow bearings out. Easier to store a weight in metadata than to carry around the extra baggage of useless geometry and more triangles to tesselate.