Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Auto Populate Drawing Name from Part Name, Number, and Revision

Does anyone know how to populate the drawing name (what's found on the tab when the drawing is created) from other part meta data, such as the part name, part number, or revision? For instance, if I have a part, and in its properties panel in the part studio, I give it the description of "Bracket", and I give it part number 10, revision A, when I right click and say new drawing from part, can I get Onshape to create me a drawing titled Bracket-10-A, or some combination of those values? I'm tired of exporting drawings and having to delete the "drawing 1" suffix, or having my drawing name not auto update with my revision number, which we add after exporting the drawing. 

Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answers

• raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Answer ✓
    What is your expectation if for part number 10 + rev A you create a drawing. Now you update the part number 10 to create rev B Would you create a new drawing or update an existing one ?

Are you simply looking for the a suitable default during export ? 

Something configurable like $PARTNUMBER+$REVISION+DESCRIPTION 

There is also the case that you can have multiple sheets on a drawing which have views of multiple parts.

Answers

• Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    I don't believe this is currently possible and I too would love to customize drawing names with other input properties as you've mentioned via some auto-populate criteria. Sounds like an Improvement Request.
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    Answer ✓
    What is your expectation if for part number 10 + rev A you create a drawing. Now you update the part number 10 to create rev B Would you create a new drawing or update an existing one ?

There is also the case that you can have multiple sheets on a drawing which have views of multiple parts.

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited September 2018
    @raj_Onshape - Ironically, what you show is exactly what we would be looking to do (Rev on the end) with our drawing naming nomenclature.  :o   :)

That would definitely make a good starting point too.
    Not just drawings, this'd be great for solid part exports (parasolid, step, stl etc).
    [Picard mode ON]
            "Make it so" (Please)
    [Mode Off]
    Cheers,
    Owen S.

Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • marshall_wentworthmarshall_wentworth Member Posts: 10 PRO

Raj, having a configurable export mode is exactly what we want. To answer your first question, we generally update our drawings, not create new ones. So, from my part studio, I just want to up-rev the part there, then have the associated drawing up-rev (that feature already exists), and then I'd make my edits to the drawing, and export in whatever configuration we have set ($partnumber+$rev+description). This would save us a pretty good chunk of time, and prevent us from making errors in deleting and typing in or copy and pasting our own revision number and whatever else we add later.
  • marshall_wentworthmarshall_wentworth Member Posts: 10 PRO
    It's outside the scope of this question, but another huge plus would be to export both part and drawing at the same time. 
  • jannie_smaljannie_smal Member Posts: 6 EDU
    This is a deal-breaker, I cannot think that this is not possible.
    According to me, this is a feather that must be in from the beginning. 

I was using Inventer in 2006 and used this feather every day.