Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly mate

timo_8timo_8 Member Posts: 4
Mating things seems really wierd and I find it quite counter intuitive.

How can I easilly mate 2 faces to each other so that it doesnt snap to any point?

What I'm trying to do is to mate the "bottom" face of the extrusion to the baseplate and get the extrusion flush with the shortedge.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/53a139fbec5543c2ba268e34/w/edb4f698353e4908930e4c66

Best Answers

Answers

• cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Hey Timo,

I unable to preview your model with the link provided above.  How about a new link or some screen shots.  The document needs to be public for anyone in the forum to look at it with a link.   I too had hard to time with the higher level mates at first, but now I'm a convert.    

W.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • timo_8timo_8 Member Posts: 4
    The document should be public now
    David thanks for the help.
    So basically there is no "easy" way to do it.
    Maybe in the future we'll see other mate methods..

Best regards,
    TT
    @Timo  Here is a copy of your assembly with one leg constrained. Take a look and you will see how I did it.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6767d7910e1342c2a671d97e/w/636d1fae8c344517918d3d0c/e/5d7b24c9c14945478b7bb7f5

Dave
    Good idea!  I just don't like the idea of having to manage a distance offset if the profile changes.
    imagine.create.deliver
  • david_sohlstromdavid_sohlstrom Member, Mentor Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    This is a ton easier than doing the same thing in Alibre/Geomagic. 8 mate connectors rather than 36 it would take in A/GM to get all three legs constrained.
    Once you get a handle on it you'll say duh.

Dave

David Sohlstrom

Ariel, WA
    CycloneWade, ok that will work great, thanks!

Now that would be a good addition to the snap mates if onshape could detect that point automatically, the basic shape of that extrusion is rectangular after all! So 4 corner points and 4 midpoints..

edited April 2015

This is a ton easier than doing the same thing in Alibre/Geomagic. 8 mate connectors rather than 36 it would take in A/GM to get all three legs constrained.
    Once you get a handle on it you'll say duh.

Dave

@Dave_Sohlstrom

In SW Brand, it would have taken 3 mates per Strut member but only if a plane when through the center of the strut.  It would also require a width mate between two points on the edge.  I'm not even sure width mate works with two points.  If points didn't work, then three planes would have to be created on the plate for centering the strut on each edge face.

Update...A mate with a plane between two points is turns out to be a symmetry mate.

imagine.create.deliver
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I think Onshape mate connectors grand idea is to connect where it would connect in real world. I don't miss traditional constraints at all, instead of clicking this and that and making feature tree grow you can just think of one mate and that's it.

Adding mate connectors in place during part modeling forces you to think ahead and be a little bit smarter from the beginning.
    //rami
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    edited May 2015
    I like the way you can add a connector mate on an edge and then when you do a fillet or chamfer to that edge, the mate stays on the old, now virtual , edge.  So I fillet and chamfer at the end after defining  my mates.