Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

auto-labelling in drawings

I'd like to create a drawing of an assembly and have the drawing callout each of the parts either by number or name in the drawing.  Is this possible or do I have to name and put labels next to each part manually, once in the drawing?

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Correct me if I misunderstand you. 

Isn't that a BOM?

Subscribe to a BOM app in the app store. I use OpenBOM. It does ok.

after you create a BOM, create your drawing and use the Insert BOM tool, then select your BOM to insert.

Then use the ballon tool in drawings to point to each part. Careful, the balloon number increments by 1 each time you place a balloon. You will need to edit the text in the balloon to reference the correct item number in the BOM

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited March 2017
    Nice work @john_mcclary that's how I would normally do my drawing BOM's and great now can insert a live table.

I think what the OP is asking for is a callout with part name or part number in lieu of the balloon. Unfortunately this is not available yet but something I would be after.  I'd also like the ability to place qty notation on the balloon.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • GageGage Member Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Can we have a tool that automatically links creates numbered balloons based on a BOM, then maintain that numbered link as changes are made? Then we could move the balloons around however we see fit.
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Can we have a tool that automatically links creates numbered balloons based on a BOM, then maintain that numbered link as changes are made? Then we could move the balloons around however we see fit.
    This is absolutely needed. Very painfull manaully keeping track of the ballon numbers. I hope we see it soon. I am sure its on the list of improvements
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    To me this is a deal breaker! What is expected date of implementation?
  • patrick_farleypatrick_farley Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    This now works
    you can change the balloons to some other shape and even no shape at all
  • benoit_desjardinsbenoit_desjardins Member Posts: 4
    patrick_farley were can i find the settings for the balloons? Thanks, Ben