Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

tab key to set multiple dimensions e.g. for a rectangle not working - bug?

DscheyDschey Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
In the tutorial https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/fundamentals-sketching/sketch-constraints/dimensions you have described the function to set multiple dimensions e.g. the length and width of a rectangle while drawing by hitting the tab key after entering the first value. Then the cursor should go the the next dimension. That does not work for me. I have tried several times.

Comments

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Try hitting the enter key, that seems to work, and I think the video instructions are incorrect or the behavior has been changed since the video was created. I have hit the tab key many times expecting the behavior as shown in the vid but the enter key seems to be the correct action.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It's enter key.  Also if you move your mouse from one to the other it will change which one you are editing. Incase you only want width and not length for example
    A bit surprised that the video instructions are incorrect. It's one of those things I never expect from the folks at OnShape and it can have a pretty big impact on its (new?) users.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited March 2018
    Have you reported it as a bug?

OS seem pretty hot on correcting anything they're made aware of.

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Is it a bug? Or just an oversight in the video? Should the dims highlight with the Tab Key? Or Enter Key? Do they just need to fix the video or change the behavior in OS? Curious....
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    They need to update video if it says anything other than what you witness :smile:

But enter doesnt toggle between.it confirms the value, at that point it creates a dimension.

Your mouse position relative to the demension will toggle between them
    They need to update video if it says anything other than what you witness :smile:

But enter doesn't toggle between.it confirms the value, at that point it creates a dimension. - THEN TOGGLES BETWEEN THEM - or at least it does on my version of OS.

Your mouse position relative to the demension will toggle between them

Simple video demonstrating the behavior on my computer. Is there a preference that might change the behavior?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-0QEs5JX5A
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi all!

Thanks for pointing out this issue.  Whether it's a bug in the product or an inconsistency in the video, both would deserve a bug report (our bug tracking software has a 'documentation' category, so really we consider it to be a bug either way).  Please report the bug from the "feedback" option of the "?" menu in your part studio when you get a chance.

As for this functionality.  If you'd like to set just the width or just the height of the rectangle, you can change which one is going to be edited first by moving your mouse close to the desired dimension.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • DscheyDschey Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Fyi, I have reported it to support as a bug and I got confirmation:
    "I am logging this as a bug. Your support ticket: "TAB KEY TO SET MULTIPLE DIMENSIONS E.G. FOR A RECTANGLE NOT WORKING?" has been identified as a bug and we are working on it..." UX/Support
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    edited December 2018
    @Dschey This had me confused so I had to double-check the original what’s new video I created back in Jan 2016. Tab key does not switch focus on sketch dimensions (that’s a SolidWorks thing) - in Onshape Tab is only used for selecting focus in dialog boxes. I will double-check with Cody (author of training video). 

https://youtu.be/RoUJpc4FTrQ
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @Dschey Thank you for pointing this out. It has been corrected.