Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - December 4th, 2018

2»

Comments

• Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Awesome-sauce!

That display state function is great!  Now I don't have to export 2 different drawings. 
  • xpereiraxpereira Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Wow, folders in the feature list. Christmas came early!
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Great updates,

The Feature List is now a Feature Tree  :)

but I can't see them in assemlies, I have too many bolts and etc. that should be stoved away in subfolders.

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Don't forget about mate sub-folders as well :)
  • steven_elliott555steven_elliott555 Member Posts: 24 PRO
    sub-folders for components within assemblies please
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @lemon1324

This functionality is being worked on.  We are exploring whether this is possible, and whether we can make it good enough to be useful.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • simon_mooresimon_moore Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Yep  _ liking the folders - simple and nice - like me?
  • APDAPD Member Posts: 40 PRO
    All great! Especially the Display states in drawings! And my BOM tables are now resizing correctly to the text! 
    Nice work Onshape!!
  • eddie_louweddie_louw Member Posts: 2
    Importing of the latest Version of DXF files is still a concern
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Can you elaborate? Can you share the DXF file you are having problems with?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • eddie_louweddie_louw Member Posts: 2
    NeilCooke said:
    Can you elaborate? Can you share the DXF file you are having problems with?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8192a904e7fd0d2b33ac7f74/w/488322d5c1db3358fb6794c6/e/41b7c91ad4a0f5358261aa4c

This is just a sample from Coreldraw exported as AutoCAD 2008-2013
    CorelDraw! wow, I didn't know they were still around :)
    Haven't used them since Windows 3.1 Brings me back to my grandma's house, she used to set me up in coreldraw to pacify me while babysitting :D
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    @eddie_louw in all seriousness though, it looks like Onshape is not liking the splines out of CorelDraw. Can you see if it can export them as polylines?

I also discovered that Autodesk has indeed created a newer version of DXF called DXF 2018 (for whatever reason). These files will not open in the Onshape viewer but CAN be imported into a sketch in a Part Studio.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • jon_loschkejon_loschke Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    OMFG!!!  thank you for feature folders!!
  • ian_murgatroydian_murgatroyd Member Posts: 1 PRO
    When I put features into folders one at a time it goes to top of the folder's feature list. This makes a lot of broken features. I could solve it by dragging to bottom of folder's list but I feel it should go there by default. 
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi @ian_murgatroyd

This is on our radar!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    When I put features into folders one at a time it goes to top of the folder's feature list. This makes a lot of broken features. I could solve it by dragging to bottom of folder's list but I feel it should go there by default. 
    The problem is, where was the feature before dragging. If you have a folder between two features and you want them both in, you would want one on the top of the list, one of the bottom. So changing a default doesn't help. You're assuming people will always be working below the folder. Onshape assumed people would be working above the folder. Either way, it doesn't matter:
    The real answer is expand the folder and just put it where you want to go the first time. Works every time :)

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Or it could determine if you're dragging from above or below the folder and drop it in accordingly...
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Aye, that would be cool.
    Another thought would be to have it "Peek" into a collapsed folder. maybe expand it after mouseover for 1 second, then you can drag in, then it auto collapse again.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Nice :+1:
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • EricGauthierEricGauthier Member Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
  • jrs_spedleyjrs_spedley Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Only just noticed the Feature List Folders!  Thank you very much. :)

I recall these were asked for a year or more ago but the response from onshape wasn't particularly positive and I didn't think it would happen.
    I must have skimmed passed this in the email as it is a feature I really could use at the moment!

Thanks.