Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Shell Tool - Having Problems

ben_latham068ben_latham068 Member Posts: 1 EDU
Hello, I'm trying to shell out this Christmas tree but for some unknown reason (to me at least) its not able to preform the shell. I've tried varying thicknesses and changing direction but it fails every time. The preferred shell would be a removal of the bottom face and a thickness of 0.1in but I would be happy if just the 'hollow' part worked. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d34d2391a21ebe1b7647d2f0/w/f02065eaffb045144d4b7e7a/e/e3674b551187c7e2769efcc1

If this isn't posted to the correct forum / sub forum sorry. 

Comments

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @ben_latham068
    I suspect the fillets are causing shell to fail 

Try smaller thickness, I'd expect 0.5mm to work. You could also try using Modify Fillet feature
    to delete fillets, you should be able to restore them after shell.  If you make the document public , some-one will be able to help you more.
  • Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2019
    One trick when debugging a shell, offset the surfaces 1st by picking one at a time. Eventually it'll error out and that's the offending surface. If it can't offset the faces, it won't shell either.

Many times shell will tell you the issue, but when it doesn't, I just start offsetting till they stop offsetting and you know where things are failing. 

I think lana's suggestion is best, just remove the fillets and put back after the shell.