Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to create a modified version of an assembly not affecting the original assembly?(No duplication)

I have an assembly (Assembly 1) and I want to make certain modifications to certain parts of assembly 1 and save the modified parts without modifying the original parts of assembly 1. (I know I can just manually recreate the parts but I would rather modify parts from assembly 1 than to manually recreate them for assembly 2 because I used a master sketch and each parts are drawn to where they need to be in the assembly).

- Ultimately I want to rename this modified assembly as (Assembly 2) which again uses the modified parts and some original parts of assembly 1. Is there any good way of doing this without having to simply copying/duplicating assembly 1? I just do not want to have multiple of the same parts from assembly 1.  Thank you!!

Answers

• Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    You should just be able to create configurations of the parts you want to modify.l
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,370
    If you duplicate the assembly (right-click element tab, copy to clipboard, + menu, paste tab) the parts and sub-assemblies are not duplicated, they are reused, so you can change/replace only the parts you want to.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    deuel_busilan054deuel_busilan054 Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Hello Mr Cooke, if they are reused doesn't that mean any changes I do to a part affects the original part which what I do not want? I just want to directly edit the copied part and save it as a different part name without affecting the original.
  • Options
    deuel_busilan054deuel_busilan054 Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Hello Cris_Bowers. Thank you. I will try that out. However I feel that there are quite a bit of complex changes in the parts so I am not sure how much it could help me. But I will look into it. I appreciate the response!!

• Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    @deuel_busilan054

Depending on the longer term plans, you can insert a version and branch your design. Keep current state on main branch and make changes on the new one. Or you can make copy of your workspace into a separate document.

• Options
    edward_andersonedward_anderson Member Posts: 4 PRO
    These seem like workarounds.... I want to drill a hole in an assembly of parts, not make a configuration for each part that has a hole.....  Is that possible?
  • Options
    Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    These seem like workarounds.... I want to drill a hole in an assembly of parts, not make a configuration for each part that has a hole.....  Is that possible?
    If you are asking for drilling a hole at the assembly level, it is not yet possible. Holes must be created within the part studio. If you have several of the same parts with some requiring a hole and some not or with different sized holes, then configurations within the part studio would be the way to go. If all your parts are different you can make in context edits to ensure your holes are lined up properly.