Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extruding Large Arm Clip

gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
 I hope you'll be able to see the image in the version I have created. The Small Arm Grip extruded perfectly the first time but the Large Arm Grip will not fill in the centre.  When I select it comes up as a Master Sketch Selection.  There is an outline of the hole on the face of the Midplane. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/10b26164ff0e1b1be300a909/w/e10fc1c230d673c4559057ca/e/739dcc85e3672256b97a616f

Comments

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    you will need to select all the areas you want to extrude.

if you notice in the second half of the animation, there are many closed sections, I selected each one at a time to make them more obvious.
    you have the control to add or remove them from the list.

There are ways of avoiding this, but that clamp demo is teaching you how you "could" draw a model from one sketch, but honestly it isn't a best practice.

• gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Thanks for the demo.  Watching it has been a help. I have extruded the hole in the upper grip. You can see in link that it shows up in a different colour. I messed around with appearance yesterday but there may be more to it than that.  The centre hole comes up as part 6, a new part in itself. The black circle is still there. I have spent so much time on this grip that I have become fed up with it. I am going to try one last thing and if that doesn't work, my plan is leave it for now and come back to take a fresh look later on after practicing on other other exercises.
    Now, I'm going to delete part 6, remove all the sections from the list for the large arm and retry to extrude the grip. Thanks for everything and for the tip on the practice of drawing a model from one sketch. 
     https://cad.onshape.com/documents/10b26164ff0e1b1be300a909/w/e10fc1c230d673c4559057ca/e/739dcc85e3672256b97a616f  
  • gerald_comeaugerald_comeau Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I watched your demo again. It's very fast for me but I picked up a little more than I got the first time. It will be helpful when I come back to this lesson later on. Thanks.  I'll never become a pro but I hope I can get good enough to start making a concentrating solar power model on my own. Maybe others will become involved.