Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Booleans with Sweep Parts

philip_jarrettphilip_jarrett Member Posts: 2
Hello!

I am struggling with a project in which I have a complex, sweeped shape that was extruded along a splined path from a splined profile. The issue is that I am unable to perform any boolean operations on this part. For example, when attempting to subtract a cylinder from the sweeped part for a bolt, Onshape is unable to solve. However, when I attempted to create an example scenario for this post, I was able to successfully subtract a cylinder from a spline profile that was sweeped along a non-spline half-circle. Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,
Philip
Tagged:

Comments

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi and welcome.  It's always easier to help if you supply a link to your file.

Details here on adice on asking for help, erm, if that helps:-
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • philip_jarrettphilip_jarrett Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019
    Owen_Sparks,

I wanted to share but I'm technically fiddling with a teacher's CAD part and don't know if I have their permission to share publicly. However, I believe I found at least a clue as to what was going on.

I had a spline profile sweeping along a spline path. I applied a variable fillet to an edge of the resultant part. The slot I was attempting to subtract from the principal part was passing through the variably filleted area. When I suppressed fillets, Onshape was able to solve the boolean. Then, I was able to apply a new fillet. I wonder if the variable fillet presents a challenge for this scenario.

Thanks,
    Philip
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @philip_jarrett

It's likely that your subtraction was creating some kind on non-manifold geometry.  Here is an example:

This sort of subtraction created an infinitely-thin portion of geometry on the part, as well as an infinitely-small connection on the top and bottom faces.  This type of non-manifold geometry cannot be constructed in Onshape.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team