Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Derived Assembly

famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I figured out I can't do boolean operations in the assembly, so I would have to use derive in the part studio, but the part studio cannot derive assemblies, as far as I understand;)

I have inserted a sink assembly on top of cabinet assembly, but the cabinets would have to be cut to not stick out of the sink;)

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Have a look under "edit in context".  The help files and video will explain it far better than I can.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • famadorianfamadorian Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    Have a look under "edit in context".  The help files and video will explain it far better than I can.
    Cheers, Owen S.
    , but this in-context editing changes the part, while I just want to change this specific instance of the part

I don't want to cut the actual part in the part studio; only this instance which has to fit with the sink
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Well put John.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
    Use in-context as @owen_sparks said,

but create a new part studio in-context instead.
    then select the transparent part you want to create a special instance for, and select "Transform" and set it to copy in place.

that will give you a new part in-context, then you can trim your cuts, and replace the existing part in the assembly with this new one.

OR

you can create a configuration in the original part instead, and have the one configuration in-context
    Ok, that went over my head;)

1. click edit in context
    2. create a new part studio while in-context? (that somehow brings me out of in-context edit mode)

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Instead of right clicking a part, then saying edit in context.

While in the assembly, click this button

That creates a blank part studio, that has a phantom assembly in it.
    Any part you do a "Transform, copy in place" to will create a new part in that position.

So you would do that to the new part you want to make. (or parts) Then you can boolean subtract them, or whatever modifications you need to make that reference another part in the assembly

• malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    In this case, if just one instance (or a subset of instances) are to be cut for assembly then creating a config, defining cut features in-context and configuring suppression states of cut features is probably best choice. 

Another option would be to replace the instances with a derived part and then doing in context to create cut. Derived part approach will be better if there are lot of features to be configured.

Creating the new in-context part studio will require to replace the part but then it will not be updatable. 
    Instead of right clicking a part, then saying edit in context.

While in the assembly, click this button

That creates a blank part studio, that has a phantom assembly in it.
    Any part you do a "Transform, copy in place" to will create a new part in that position.

So you would do that to the new part you want to make. (or parts) Then you can boolean subtract them, or whatever modifications you need to make that reference another part in the assembly

Ok, bear with me;)

I learned to "Create part studio in context" today and I created a part to fill where there were no cabinets;) Love it. Thanks. I also created an in-context modification to the cabinet. 

However, I don't understand how to proceed with the original question, which was to trim all cabinets with this sink. 

You told me to "Transform, copy in place"; is this a single command? Is it a button somewhere? 

Transform is a button in a part studio, copy in place is an option of transform.

By doing a copy in place, it creates a new instace of a part you can add/remove features to.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Here is the help page for the Transform feature:
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform.htm

As John mentions, one of its options is to copy in place.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
    Transform is a button in a part studio, copy in place is an option of transform.

By doing a copy in place, it creates a new instace of a part you can add/remove features to.

Got it now;) Thanks. 

However, this results in static parts which won't update if I change the sink. 

I've tried to read over and over malay_kumar response, but I can't parse it;)

Is it possible to have dynamic parts which can dynamically change based on the sink suppressions?;) 
    if it is in-context, it should be dynamic.

You will need to update the context if you make a change in the assembly.

Right click the part in the assembly, or go to the context in the part studio, and select update
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    We had trouble updating cabinet in assemblies as well. We also had trouble using configured assemblies in drawings. Here is what we created for our cabinets for now.