Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fan

dan_schwartzdan_schwartz Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
What is the best way to import "on the shelf" part with many parts inside?
Now I import this to PartStudio and than to sub-assembly to make the Group command.
Is it possible that the internal parts will be not in the BOM?
Dan

Tagged:

Answers

• owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi,
    You can either:-
    (1) Make it into a sub assembly and show the BOM "structured" so the BOM will only list the top level subassembly name not the individual components.
    (2) In the individual part properties you could see all but one part to have the "exclude from BOM" checkbox set.
    Note the "structured" setting in the BOM is an all or nothing setting (currently) so you can't show one sub-assy as "flattened" and another as "structured" within the main assembly.
    Hope that helps,
    Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @dan_schwartz you also need to consider how much of those internal parts are necessary for your design. For a fan it is really the outer casing, the wire positions and maybe the fan itself - any other parts are not needed. When I get a supplier part (that is really an assembly, but is called out as one part), I try to Boolean all the parts together in the Part Studio. To do this you may need to add material to some of the parts so that they intersect. When all the parts are merged together I then Parasolid out and back in again. You will then have one clean part for use in your assembly/BOM.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI