Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Creating a sketch from a face, with edges imported

KimSJKimSJ Member Posts: 2
Forgive me if I've missed the obvious. I want to create a sketch from a face, and import some of the edges of that face into the sketch. How do I do that?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• KimSJKimSJ Member Posts: 2
    Ah. Just realized you can only use "use" on edges, not faces. (why not? :) That's why I was getting "Could not project the selected entities into the current sketch." Thanks for your help.
  • owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Sure thing.  That's odd, Using a whole face usually works, but will project just the outline, not any inner loops.

@philip_thomas can you shed any light here please?

Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    Not Philip, but I believe "use" on a face will work unless the face is wholly or partially perpendicular to the sketch (the same is true for "use" on edges but it's less common).

It would be much easier to understand your case if you linked to a public document! See the forum post checklist.
  • Cris_BowersCris_Bowers Member Posts: 281 PRO
    Using a face also only seems to work if you select the face after selecting the use command. When I select the face first I always get the "Could not project the selected entities into the current sketch." error.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I believe that Kevin has acted appropriately as my proxy :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Thank you Mr. AlternativeLightShedder.
    Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
    I believe that Kevin has acted appropriately as my proxy :)
    Too Slow Chinckenmarango.
    HWM-Water Ltd