Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape User Groups - I'm Here to Help

richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I’d like to introduce myself – I am Richard Doyle, and I’ve been in the mechanical engineering field for what feels like all my life.  I’m a veteran of several CAD systems, and I’ve worked on rapid prototyping equipment, truck mounted cranes, tablet computers, and small consumer products.  I love the design and documentation process - I crank out engineering drawings with glee, modeling makes me giddy, and I know that 5/16” should be entered as .3125, not .313.

But my real passion is the CAD Community.  I’ve got a little bit of experience supporting local user group chapters, and I will be working with the Onshape team to form the basis of a new user group network for you.

User groups are a valuable resource, and are formed to help you learn new techniques, share ideas, and most of all, to help you build your network.  I’ve seen firsthand what belonging to a local user group can do for your career.

I’d like to hear from you.  What would you like to see in the Onshape User Group Network?  What are the main reasons you would attend a user group meeting?  Evenings or afternoons?

I could throw out a more questions, but I’d rather just hear from you.

What would make for a great Onshape User Group?

Richard

Tagged:

Comments

• adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    I think since Onshape is all about being on the Cloud and accessibility and Onshape User Group should ALWAYS be available to participate Online. A live-stream setup or something. I understand the value and benefit of meeting peers in person, but Onshape is about the future.

A library of Live presentations at different presentations should also be available from User Groups around the world, in multiple languages
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Let's meet in Magic Leap once it is released  B)
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    I think since Onshape is all about being on the Cloud and accessibility and Onshape User Group should ALWAYS be available to participate Online. A live-stream setup or something. I understand the value and benefit of meeting peers in person, but Onshape is about the future.

A library of Live presentations at different presentations should also be available from User Groups around the world, in multiple languages
    Thanks Adrian.  I'm not sure I agree that user group meetings should always allow participation online, but I can envision having presentations from the meetings available afterward.  We'll also look at live broadcasting segments of some meetings, and we may try out an online meeting or two.

But if "the future" means that we never even get the chance to meet some of our fellow designers and engineers in person, well, that's not the kind of future I look forward to.  I've made many professional connections that helped elevate my career, and a lot of those people have also become close friends.  That would not have been likely if I had simply met them online.

You can't break bread or shake hands with an avatar.

Richard
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I don't know, some of my closest friends I've met online and are in different states. Going on 8 years still talk every day.

Although I'm a millennial PC MMORPG gamer introvert.. so it's like.. da way..

If there are folks around Grand Rapids, MI I'd like to have a few drinks and chat CAD. But so far I only know of one other Onshaper near here :)
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    I know, it's tough to get you young'ens out in public  :D

If the chance to see fellow Onshape user presentations (tips and tricks are popular at UG meetings), meet members of the Onshape team, or learn about Partner products isn't enough to draw you out, how about.....free pizza and Red Bull?

Richard
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    like I said I want to participate, but I'm not sure I'd be able to meet due to location  :(
  • homebrewdesignhomebrewdesign Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    I'd be for something in the evenings. Seems like a good way to network and possibly learn some new skills that I'm lacking. I've been hunting for a new job and I would really like to not give up using Onshape, but I only know of one other company in my immediate area that is currently using or involved with it. There were around 10 people that showed up for the Onshape event here a couple months back. I think I was the only actual user though, everyone else was just learning about it. Also free pizza sounds good, you can keep the Red Bull though.
  • michael_bromleymichael_bromley Member Posts: 110 PRO
    I would definitely be interested in a meet up in some capacity.  As others have mentioned, evenings or weekends work best for me.  The potential for networking is always a bonus.