Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

drawing materials and weight

franco_otaolafranco_otaola Member Posts: 23
edited October 2017 in Community Support
hello
it is a simple question i couldnt find the answer.
i have assigned the material in this case steel for a piece (after finish a drawing of the piece) and when i actualisated the drawing i was expecting that it would put the material and the weight of the piece in the low part of the sheet (there is the two sections in the template i used)
but i cant succes to show this to properties i dont understand what to do to be able to modify this without writing it manually

EDIT: i have succesfully donne for the title and material (semi automatic way by cliclink in the text book and select insert drawing property or part property for title and material by i couldnt find the way for the weight)

so still needing help for the weight part in the drawing template

thanks 

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited October 2017
    I don't think there is a way to do weight Yet. 

Materials need desperately to be improved. Not custom materials, so you're stuck with whatever is on the list and it's density for your accurate weight and there also need to be a way to add stock materials ie. material is steel (steel is the global property valve) but you want to also spec the size/shape/length/etc for your drawing and BOM. I hope we see improvements soon. Lots of votes already on this, add your vote here  https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/32573#Comment_32573

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/6881/apply-material-to-parts-without-material-from-within-the-mass-properties-dialog#latest
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Kalvis_AbeleKalvis_Abele Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Still no updates to this issue?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    You have to use a featurescript to set your weight, based off density and volume. Then store the result in a custom property
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518

What's New in Onshape's Latest Update (October 20th, 2018)

The custom FeatureScript for this can be found here:  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ce17b6f297c6baae1ea4f31/w/bf0718cfe1b17361423f8bb1/e/0780443bed0d39745f999034

This is again not the intended long term solution here, but will give users these abilities today.