Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Filet Limits and Where Do They Originate?

larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
I have an extrusion that fails to filet at a very small number and I believe it's because of a single very tight radius curve. Does that radius of the curve have a direct bearing on the filet size? Let's say the radius is .02 in. Is that the approximate limit of the filet size as well? Or is the correlation more complex?

Best Answer

Answers

• larry_haweslarry_hawes Member Posts: 478 PRO
    Now I'm thinking I might have missed a tangent constraint....
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    do you have an image or a link? I'm confused about the question
    edited May 2019
    do you have an image or a link? I'm confused about the question
    Sorry about the confusion. The challenge (seems to be solved with an applied tangent constraint?) was applying a filet to a complex shape and having it fail with anything larger than .02". Was wondering if there's way to determine that failure point based on other parts of the sketch (filet radius etc.) or if it's a bit of crap shoot and the filet will fail when the sketch can no longer tolerate the filet size. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c7ac382255c4440e75bf4ef3/w/1f3e5ec88beba41434f1492d/e/4acce76f9471456354ecfedd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmwkW3p9znI
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    @john_mcclary - Onshape will do that "overflow" example you show there, but maybe it is not as tolerant on more complex geometry. If you have some examples that work in other CAD and not in Onshape then please send them to support (although we are using the same underlying Parasolid fillet API so it should be identical).
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
    I would be more inclined to attribute the 'problem' I had to user error and not a problem inherent in the software. Totally missed the simple limitation of the part thickness in the example above, and most likely missed other aspects of the sketch/extrusion that created the limits I think I experienced.

After changing the sketch and ensuring that the tangent constraints were applied correctly it seemed to correct the limits I experienced. For now I think the question has been answered and want to thank you as well for the replies.
    edited May 2019
    Ah, you're right @NeilCooke, my bad.

the small fillets are making it zero length, do the fillets second @larry_hawes

Overflow. Interesting and I can see it applies overflow to the simple outline of the part ref'd above but not the interior sketch edges. Interesting and another piece of Onshape knowledge for me. Yippee...
    This was working the same in SW as it was in Onshape, the left image is SW the right is Onshape.

The problem is the small corner fillets need to come after the overflowed fillet.