Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Changing variable of part inside assembly

safa_alfulaijsafa_alfulaij Member Posts: 2
Hello all.
I am new to OnShape, and trying to get my head around it. (I know parametric modelling from Fusion360).
I have a part, called WoodStick, that has 3 dimentions, length width and height. I'm trying to add the part in my assembly, and modfiy those variables from there, but with no luck.
In-Context doesn't create a snapshot for variable changes.

The idea is that I'm trying to create a wardrobe, and that WoodStick is the bottom support wood pieces.
Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• safa_alfulaijsafa_alfulaij Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! I just didn't know that "Change configuration..." option changes those variables.

I'll look more into how to manage my parts and make assembly more useful!
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    It doesn't actually "change" anything in the part studio. It creates a "New Instance" of the part with the length you specify in the configured variable.

It's more like a virtual configuration. It only exists where/when you create it.

They save you from having to create a large table of configs, and let you make them on the fly.
    But can be more complex than they seem at first.

Here is more on that: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/configurations.htm?Highlight=configuration%20variable

But @NeilCooke is correct, this is one of those things that should like it is best modeled in the same partstudio.