Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Does Onshape run well on Surface Pro 5 (8gb ram)?

GG1GG1 Member Posts: 3 PRO
Anyone have experience using a Surface Pro 5 (or 6) with Onshape? I am not interested in the touchscreen aspects which I know don't work in the browser but I am just wondering with the graphics card and other specs if it runs it okay. I am considering it for my main computer but am a bit hesitant since it is considered a tablet and I don't associate those with being powerful enough for CAD.

Best Answer

Answers

• GG1GG1 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    That is a good idea to try it out at the store! With old CAD you can't bring your SW disk, install, and try it out. 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Some of these machines have multiple graphics cards and the performance will be poor if low spec card is running for the browser. 

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/webgl.htm
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Right, that is something you will need to force on a laptop with discrete card.

Most likely it will be an nVidia card. so here is the quick run down on setting that up.
    Right click the desktop
    go to the nvidia control panel
    manage 3D settings
    select program settings
    choose the web browser (only 1 best buy employee let me install chrome, the others I needed to run edge)
    then select "High-performance NVIDIA processor" as the preferred card.

Restart the browser and login it to Onshape and do a system check
    It should say something like this under the renderer section: