Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Learning Center Support

2»

Comments

• spencer_hazelwoodspencer_hazelwood Member Posts: 4
    thanks katie, 
    it seems when i try to select the face of main sketch it is selecting around the inside diameter of the wheel as well as going down the spoke to the hub. for whatever reason i cannot select just the inside diameter of the sketch as per what the directions are saying to. 
    i hope that makes sense 

• spencer_hazelwoodspencer_hazelwood Member Posts: 4
    never mind i figured it out. it was the stupid little arrows in the middle of the drawing i had to switch!!!
  • ermaierermaier Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I wanted to report looks like the wrong closed caption file is associated with the "Creating Sketch Entities / Circles and Arcs" lesson in the Introduction to Sketching course. I see closed captions for the previous lesson, Lines and Rectangles. I've tried exiting the page/course and reloading and turning the captions on and off a few times just to make sure it wasn't a bug on my end but it persist
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    ermaier said:
    Hi there, I wanted to report looks like the wrong closed caption file is associated with the "Creating Sketch Entities / Circles and Arcs" lesson in the Introduction to Sketching course. I see closed captions for the previous lesson, Lines and Rectangles. I've tried exiting the page/course and reloading and turning the captions on and off a few times just to make sure it wasn't a bug on my end but it persist
    Hi ermaier,

You are correct that we have the wrong closed caption file there.  We will fix this.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @ermaier that closed caption file is updated now. Thanks for letting us know!
  • steve_cohensteve_cohen Member Posts: 27 EDU
    I am planning on using the High School curriculum to teach some FIRST robotics students.  I downloaded the Instructor Kit, (https://www.onshape.com/edu/instructor-kit)  which has useful videos and PDFs.

I don't want to email all the files to every student, so I was hoping there would be links to the files.  I looked at the Relevant Links and Resources.docx, but it was not helpful.
    -The links for the videos do not match the titles.  For example, 1.1.3 – Design Intent https://www.onshape.com/videos/tutorial-design-intent
    takes you to a video about configurations.
    -The links to Exercises take you to the Onshape document templates, but do not show the pdfs to walk you through the exercises.
    -There is no link to the quizzes

I could copy everything to my Google Drive and create links to all the files, but it seems like there should be a better way.

Could you please give me your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
  • derek_wardderek_ward Member Posts: 63 EDU
    What I'd like to know if the Instructor Kit is ever coming back.  The link above only takes you to the Education Plan info page. 
    @derek_ward

The instructor kit was taken down because it was severely outdated to the point where it was unhelpful since the UI and functionally in Onshape has changed so much from the screenshots and videos in the kit.

What we did was invest in creating four new courses for an introduction to CAD level in an Introduction to CAD pathway that can be used in the classroom, by students and teachers in our Learning Center. We are also investing a lot of effort in creating more advanced part geometry courses like Understanding Curves and Advanced Part Design, and there will be more to come in that area!

I know its not exactly an instructor kit with instructor-only resources, but do know all the self-paced courses, videos, and technical briefings in the Learning Center are made available to EDU subscriptions for free, (you just need to be signed in to Onshape to access). I would encourage you to use these resources for you and your students. They are made keeping both students and professionals in mind. 
  • mcheli_academicmcheli_academic Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 10 EDU
    What I'd like to know if the Instructor Kit is ever coming back.  The link above only takes you to the Education Plan info page. 
    Derek,

The academic team is working on a number of new materials to help instructors in K12 and in the University space easily get started with teaching Onshape and will be rolling those out of the next few months.  We've created a one pager pdf here:  https://apps.ptc.com/schools/OnshapeEducationGettingStarted.pdf that helps to outline the resources that are available today.  We'll continue to update that as more resources are released!
  • Gwendal_FernetGwendal_Fernet Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2020
    Hello,

I am stuck in the learning center with the new Surface Modeling Learning Pathways. 
    On the Helmet exercice, I have issue with the Shell feature. I cannot remove the faceshield:

Can someone help me? I do not see where I have a difference between the tutorial and my model.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ee4b406d8335e36ac931b8ec/w/d45ee19ef7ec5f0bdf8556c7/e/b430d9d75d673442426a5cb3

Thanks

EDIT: I found the issue, I made a mistake of spline lenght. But still does not quite understand why the shell feature behave like this
  • Glenn_BabeckiGlenn_Babecki Member Posts: 22 EDU
    I have been meaning to formally go through the self paced training for some time now and finally started. This might just be me, but I find the video clips go way too fast to impart any knowledge in one or more passes (which should not be required). The speaker is talking very fast and clicking all over the menus at lighting speed. You cannot watch what's happening to the drawing and pay attention to the rapid menu navigation at the same time. In fact I venture to say that even if you were concentrating solely on the menu navigation you would be hard pressed to follow and absorb the steps.

I suspect that the training is not going to be redone with the end user in mind anytime soon, so is there any other truly "self paced" training that isn't as frustrating as watching the available videos?
  • jonathan_fether456jonathan_fether456 Member Posts: 5
    I am in this lesson, 04. CREATING DRAFT, SHELL, AND RIB FEATURES and having trouble being able to select a profile for the extrude function. Why can I not select a sketch that I have just created?
    @jonathan_fether456 can you show a screenshot or share a document link of what you are seeing?
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    @KatieHuffman
    Hi Katie, I noticed that there is a problem in the "OnScale Solve Simulation Fundamentals"

In the bike frame excercise, the units seem wrong. The bike frame is only 0.080m long. Which is pretty small:

The problem seems to be in the Onshape document. There the bike frame is also too small.

I can't find the Quality slider for the mesh in OnScale. Could it be that they changed their UI?

• SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    @sebastian_glanzner, you've just got the wrong bike in mind

• sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    edited July 2022
    @SethF
    Thanks for your help, that's pretty funny  :D 
  • David_BazinetDavid_Bazinet Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    @KatieHuffman
    Hi Katie, I noticed that there is a problem in the "OnScale Solve Simulation Fundamentals"

In the bike frame excercise, the units seem wrong. The bike frame is only 0.080m long. Which is pretty small:

The problem seems to be in the Onshape document. There the bike frame is also too small.

I can't find the Quality slider for the mesh in OnScale. Could it be that they changed their UI?

@sebastian Thanks for brining this to our attention, we'll get this updated and yes, it appears Onscale has updated the UI. 

For the mesh, Use the "Refine" button, as the slider was removed from their latest release. 

You can also reference this article that I found as well: https://onscale.com/blog/mesh_in-_no_time
    Toward the bottom is a section on refining the mesh using that button.

• kevin_mason558kevin_mason558 Member Posts: 46 EDU
    hello i am going through
     frames fundamentals, exercise 5 custom profiles.
    the course is telling me to add "#" to a dimension to bring a pop up to make it a variable dimension. adding "#" gives me the message enter a valid expression, the box turns red and no pop up appears.
  • martienmartien Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Hi,

I'm really enjoying all the learning material here. One thing I've wondered about is whether it is possible to save the default settings for videos. I need subtitles to be on for all of them, but I have to switch them on for every video, rather than the system just remembering that is what I prefer. I would also like the speed to be remembered, but the subtitles are rather important.

Thanks for providing this high quality content for free.
  • chip_griffinchip_griffin Member Posts: 2
    I'm in 04. CREATING DRAFT, SHELL, AND RIB FEATURES, the Wheel Rim exercise. I'm on step 12 where I'm supposed to use circular pattern to generate the remaining spokes. The parts look to be there and correct except they are red and if I click the check box they disappear and I get an error. I've retraced my steps multiple times and I get the same error every time. Thoughts?