Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - June 18th, 2019

2»

Comments

• WJTWJT Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Really outstanding improvement in this release, Onshape!  The multi-level document update is huge for us and action items could not have come at a better time.  Thanks for always listening and improving.
  • mthiesmeyermthiesmeyer Onshape Employees Posts: 115
    edited June 2019
    @Davide_Cev,

If you create your version from the Versions and history flyout you will see the dialog that you have come to expect that allows you to edit the metadata.

Best,

Mike
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @Davide_Cev - YES! This was introduced in the previous release :)

That button you pushed is now a shortcut to creating a version without having to fill out the dialog.

If you want to create versions 'the old way', then simply open the Version Manager window and click on the 'add version' button (and of course you can always edit the 'fastly created' version to name it etc).

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Export PNG with transperent background just made my day. Thanks!!
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Davide_CevDavide_Cev Member Posts: 8 PRO
    @philip_thomas & @mthiesmeyer thank you guys I've missed that
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    @Davide_Cev,

If you create your version from the Versions and history flyout you will see the dialog that you have come to expect that allows you to edit the metadata.

Best,

Mike
    There is a bit of a trap here in that I have twice created new versions by hitting the "Create version" button when aiming for the "Manage versions and history button". Is there a way to remove the versions I have created in error?
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    Great updates!
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    @Davide_Cev,

Best,

Mike
    There is a bit of a trap here in that I have twice created new versions by hitting the "Create version" button when aiming for the "Manage versions and history button". Is there a way to remove the versions I have created in error?
    Cannot delete versions, but in the Versions and history list you can rename the version from V1 to anything you want by selecting Properties...
  • brian_jordanbrian_jordan Member, Developers Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    @brian_brady thank you, I thought that was the case. Suitable names for unintentional versions now in use here - some not printable.
  • don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    edited July 2019
    @don_williams909 - Again, both are on the list (and quite high up at that!) - let's use your comment as the rallying cry to get people to submit/vote. 
    Sorry to sound like a broken record, but this is absolutely how we decide what to work on next :)
    Yes, well I can't quite understand why OS would create a conical mate for something and not make conical mates a standard kind of mate.
    That's just convoluted thinking.

Creo has a simple conical mate, and you just select the surface of the first item, then the second, and voila, it's mated.

I mean, hey, why not just create a method for mating things but not actually make that method available?  Brilliant...
    Let's just do all this work, get 99.5% of the way through it, and stop! 
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    @don_williams909 - isn't a fastened/revolute mate between mate connectors at the point of a cone the same thing?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @don_williams909
    I think @philip_thomas in that quote was replying to your two requests for color and bmp.  Your 2nd question about conical mates must have crossed his reply.  as @NeilCooke points out - the point of cone MC should do the job.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    Announcer voice - "Onshape coming around the first corner..!
    Onshape takes the lead.!
    Onshape laps its opponents and leaves everyone in the dust!!"

Our company strives to be as awesome as Onshape - Cache River Mill
    @don_williams909
    I think @philip_thomas in that quote was replying to your two requests for color and bmp.  Your 2nd question about conical mates must have crossed his reply.  as @NeilCooke points out - the point of cone MC should do the job.
    Bruce,

Yes, I was able to make it work with a downloaded screw from McMaster. 

That said...

What I really meant by my comment above as far as taking it only 95% of the way is that it would be great if there was a specific Conic Mate to click on so that you only have to click on the surface, and the system automatically selects the point of the cone instead of us trying to get it to select one of 2, 3 or 4 mate connectors along the length of the screw / countersink. 

Surely there must be an easy way to code that kind of specific selection...
    edited July 2019
    NeilCooke said:
    @don_williams909 - isn't a fastened/revolute mate between mate connectors at the point of a cone the same thing?
    Neil,

Sorry, I didn't see your reply.  See my comment to Bruce above.  I'm talking about a "specific" Conic Mate, that automatically selects the point of the cones and just mates them.  That would be far easier to use than having to hunt for the mates at those locations via the Fastened Mated.  Does that make sense?  I mean, if the coders can create the mate at the points of the cones, then they can certainly find a way to pre-select them when you click on the surface of the cones.  It's a much, much easier way for users to mate a screw and a countersink, or whatever else applies.  Less clicks - happy me.