Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Edit dimension of lines

darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
Here is a Cross section and swept path for a sweep. Before sweeping I need to adjust with the dimension tool.  I selected a plane, pencil, dimension, select a line, and there's no number box to click on to change the dimension. What tap am I missing to edit dimension of lines?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/feea8940f25571a110bb39ed/w/bea7e1b5e09acc21e95b126e/e/6bb63e0c19f6486e5a051c26

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Selecting a plane and pencil (aka Sketch) is for creating a new sketch. To change a dimension you need to edit one of the existing sketches which can be done by selecting the 3 dots next to a sketch name in the feature list. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @darren_mason871
    If you’re going to add dimensions to Sketch 4, you might find that the black line circled in the GIF Is getting in the way of your dimensioning things the way you want.

This GIF shows you how to get rid of the constraint on that black line

Once the constraint is removed, the line changes to blue — showing that it’s unconstrained. Now you can add a dimension to one of the attached vertical lines, and that horizontal line will be able to move up or down

• darren_mason871darren_mason871 Member Posts: 35
    I edited sketch 4, pencil, dimension,  selected a line, tapped the number box,  entered the new value of 30, tapped checkmark., and the entire sketch 4 disappears.  I tried a few times with the same result. How do I keep sketch 4 from disappearing?

edited July 2019

@darren_mason871

The first dimension that you apply to a sketch, scales up or down all the items within that sketch.

I looked at the length of one of your existing lines without changing it and it was less than .4

So by making your first dimension 30, you scaled up that whole sketch a tremendous amount. You either need to keep zooming out, or select zoom to fit, and then you’ll see your sketch

I tapped zoom to fit and now I can see it but it is no longer intersecting with the profile sketch on the front plane. I tried to put them back together using coincident but it didn't work. How do u move this path sketch back to the use point on the profile sketch?
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ec316a6b9513135d0734bdc9/w/2032cf668578fb7f5ef00db9/e/b4ae3a20a52754d195d68399
    @darren_mason871

You need to bring the point on that shape at the top of the screen into Sketch 4 by using the USE TOOL. Then you can use the COINCIDENT CONSTRAINT to bring the line up to that point

Thanks that worked great. Now I've realized I need to enlarge the profile sketch, sketch 1, so I edit sketch 1, select dimension, and now I can't figure out how to select the lines so that the entire sketch enlarges together. I've selected lines and enlarged and it warps the image or won't allow the lines to be selected together.  Where do I select to enlarge all dimensions of sketch 1 by 3x?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ec316a6b9513135d0734bdc9/w/2032cf668578fb7f5ef00db9/e/b4ae3a20a52754d195d68399
    Thanks @steve_shubin for helping out @darren_mason871 - one step that is not necessary is USE. You can make a point from one sketch coincident with a point in another without having to USE (copy) it into the current sketch first. Didn't know about the copy document trick - I'll have to try that (and if copy document works, then branch and merge should also work?).
    @darren_mason871 - I don't think it's necessary to start a new thread for every issue with this document - @steve_shubin is very familiar with it and is giving you great advice. One thing I would suggest is to learn Onshape using a computer first if you can and review the free training videos at learn.onshape.com - many of your questions will be answered there. Unfortunately, these videos do not cover mobile usage, but it would be far easier to learn how Onshape works first before trying to master mobile selection techniques.
    @NeilCooke
    Thanks for the tip on coincident without having to use the USE tool.

And I tried Branch, and it works. Thanks for that. I don’t think I ever would’ve figured out that one