Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Struggling with Named positions/views in drawings

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Community Support

I’m struggling with Named positions in drawings:

1. I created 2 named positions in an assembly while the drawing of that assy already exist:

• I updated the drawing (Ctrl-q).

• I tried to change the view orientation of a view (=front) to a view orientation of a named position. I did not succeed!
    Is that because the orientation of a view is not changeable afterwards in the view properties dialog or is there another method?

• Named position/view in a new drawing of the existing assy ‘1’:

• I created a new drawing of the assy with the 2 named positions.

• Now the named positions did not appear in the view name list of the Insert view dialog.

• Named positions in a new drawing of a new assy:

• As a test I created  2 named positions in an assembly which has no drawings.

• When creating a drawing of that assy then also the named positions did not appear in the View name list of the Insert view dialog.  

Please can you help me?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answers

Answers

• Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@NeilCooke,

Thank you. It's clear now.

I thought that it was possible to create views with assy components in a predefined position - a named position. Although I need that, I think that is not possible yet, isn't it? It’s only the orientation of the assy, right?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
      @NeilCooke and @john_mcclary,

Thank you for your additional info.
      After the first info of Neil some of them already past my mind.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
    • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
      edited March 2020
      NeilCookejohn_mcclary I think these explanations are good and would like them to be clarified on the help page. 
      However I try to figure out if it is possible to syncronize these two 'view' & 'position' to have to assemblies. They should be linked so if you change mates/parts etc in one then it would reflect on the other. I've explained further here:
      https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13115/design-flow-for-3d-printing
    • Aly_KhalifaAly_Khalifa Member Posts: 3 PRO
      in ASSEMBLIES, I found you could save a Position, and then simply create and save an Exploded View without moving the components. Then when in the DRAWING, refresh and specify the "explode/position"
    • GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 366 PRO
      in ASSEMBLIES, I found you could save a Position, and then simply create and save an Exploded View without moving the components. Then when in the DRAWING, refresh and specify the "explode/position"
      I usually create a duplicate assembly to show different positions but your idea is much simpler...thank you.