Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Multiple Animations

Hello,
Can't find the trick.
I have 2 animations a Revolute and a Slider working properly in an assembly. I just want them both to animate at the same time.
How do I do that?
Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Rack and pinion relation is the relative motion between a linear motion and a rotation.

All relations only affect existing mates.

You will need to set up a part on a slider (or cylindrical) mate.
    The other part will need a revolute (or cylindrical) mate.

then you select the two mates in the rack in pinion relation dialogue, then set the relationship. "For every (1) rotation, I will move (200mm)"

Answers

• Options
    edited September 2019
    With a little bit of trickery...

What I do is create a separate slider to animate, then have that slider push some pieces along a curvy path. When the piece follows the curve up, use a slider mate with a relation to drive your actual part...
    Each curve will drive the position of each mate.
    In the ref image below, there are three mates being animated, 2 are stationary for this moment in time. while the 3rd is moving in a positive direction, in this case, a clockwise rotation somewhere in the assembly.

Hard to explain in short hand.

Look at the videos towards the end of this forum post, and I give deeper explanations.
    There was a webinar about this somewhere too, but I don't remember the title off hand.
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/10484/rubiks-cube-mate-animation
  • Options
    larry_readerlarry_reader Member Posts: 3
    Thanks John but I think I'm at a different learning phase here. Looking at this
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/materelation-rackandpinion.htm?cshid=materelation_rack_and_pinion
    Still missing some key bits. When I set up a Rack and Pinion Relation I get a constraints error. When I drag something the parts move instead of the animation occurring. In the video's there is this drag to animate thing going on. 
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Rack and pinion relation is the relative motion between a linear motion and a rotation.

All relations only affect existing mates.

You will need to set up a part on a slider (or cylindrical) mate.
    The other part will need a revolute (or cylindrical) mate.

then you select the two mates in the rack in pinion relation dialogue, then set the relationship. "For every (1) rotation, I will move (200mm)"
  • Options
    larry_readerlarry_reader Member Posts: 3
    Thanks again John, Yea I have that. Actually doing a right click > Animate on the Revolute mate gets me a constraint error. Just discovered by accident that doing an Animate on the Slider mate and it actually works, kind of. Ok some progress. When I edit the mates the way I want with limits again I get a constraint error. Will keep poking around at it.
  • Options
    Ok, so if you are that far, then that could mean you have limits set, and the animation would be going beyond the limit of the slider mate..

in the animation dialogue you will need to set the distance to be lessthan or equal to the slider's limit.

(HINT: sometimes you need to give a negative value )