Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Cycloidal Gear Generator

maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
Hi Onshapers!

I just finished writing a cycloidal "gear" drive generator. It creates a cycloidal drive train using mathematically correct cycloid curves. I tried to make the UI intuitive. I hope all of the parameters that you would want to adjust are adjustable, but feedback on that would be amazing. 

Try it out!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/347e6a9ae9d0992f4b101a70/w/d85d62ab1c292cc0d3314104/e/39a63585c0c29cabbfacb536

Again, any feedback would be appreciated!

Maximilian Schommer

Comments

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    OOOOOOO!!!!! 
    Where's our flattener? :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi, rather handy FS for quick experiments! i'd like to see a sketch with pitch circles for outer and inner gears, and possibly i would propose to change the name of "tooth number" field to "ratio", and can't seems to find a field to set the diameter of inner pin array.
  • maximilian_schommermaximilian_schommer Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    Thanks @konstantin_shiriazdanov
    You're right, I forgot to add the pin diameter circle to the feature list! Right now it's just half way between the outer bearing diameter and the outer pin diameter, but I'll make it editable! Also, what do you mean by pitch circle for outer and inner gears? Isn't that only useful for meshing gears? 

Thanks for the feedback!

Maximliian Schommer
    hi, maximillian!
    cycloidal gears are still the kind of gears that relies on kinematics of rolling pitch circles, so i think they bring rather important visual information. at least that may be an option. thank you
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

I added the ability to change the radius of the inner pins, and also added pitch circles. The pitch circles are different than what you'd expect for gears since they're dependent on the eccentricity and the number of pins (I think), but the ratios of diameters should be correct. I might have gotten the pitch circles wrong, so don't take my word for it. 

Thanks again!

Maximilian Schommer
    Thanks, if i remember correctly radius of outer pitch circle for cyclo gear = (u+1)*e, for inner pitch circle = u*e. u is ratio and is equal to number of tooth, e is eccentricity
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov

Awesome! I did (u)*e and (u*e-e), but fixed it now.  I'm working on some more improvements to it and will push a new release soon!

Thanks!
  • BLJ_ENGINEERINGBLJ_ENGINEERING Member Posts: 15 PRO
    Thanks! This is a great FS! We machined a working prototype in plastic: 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @maximilian_schommer
    this is a pretty old thread, but I've been making icons for some of my favorite features. If you like the icon and have time feel free to add it to your feature or ask me for tweaks. it's here.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • CyberphilCyberphil Member Posts: 7 EDU
    This is an awesome FS, and thank you for making this! Using it to try and make a stackable version for use in FRC. 

One request: show the plotted cycloid sketch after the feature is created. I've been running into a bunch of issues with values not updating when assigning them with variables and having the cycloid sketch there would really help solve a lot of the issues I am running into.