Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Smooth, automated camera motion animation in Onshape

jeremy_paradiejeremy_paradie Member Posts: 2 EDU
Hello,

I am wondering how the smooth camera effect was created in the animation on the main Onshape website https://www.onshape.com/ See the gif below and attached for reference. 
I am looking to create a similar animation with my own assembly, but I can't seem to find any information about how to do it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    edited October 2019
    I may be wrong but I'd guess that is a screen capture of someone manipulating the standard assembly viewing area using a 3Dconnexion mouse whilst also animating a mate.  (The allows you to zoom, pan and rotate simultaneously.)
    Cheers, Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    @owen_sparks guilty as charged. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Very smooth Mr. Cooke :+1:  Might be low compression on that right hand cylinder though ;)
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    jeremy_paradiejeremy_paradie Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Thanks, a 3d mouse makes a lot of sense. 

I've been animating a walking robot of sorts in Onshape using a stop motion technique - adjusting joint angles slightly within the assembly and then relying on named views to set the camera back to a consistent location. I am using mouse macros to take care of camera resetting and screenshot generation. I asked the question originally because I was hoping that there might be a way to automate changing the camera location slightly as part of my macro process to get that smooth zoom, pan and rotate animation. The arrow keys do something similar to what I am looking for but they move the camera far too much. Any ideas on how to achieve what I am looking to do? The best I can come up with is rotating all the parts within the assembly slightly relative to the origin in each frame, and leaving the camera in place, giving the illusion that the camera is moving, but I'm not convinced that the lighting will cooperate with the illusion. 

Thanks for any ideas!
  • Options
    miguel_sanchez340miguel_sanchez340 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    edited October 2019
    An Arduino Leonardo or a Teensy comes to mind too, as they can be set to emulate a USB keyboard and mouse so you can create a custom set of keystrokes and mouse movements to achieve a similar result (it may be a bit more involved and time-consuming than the 3D mouse though :-)
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @jeremy_paradie - can your macro emulate mouse click+drag actions? If so, perhaps you could use that to pan and rotate. 

I've also played around with a steam controller a bit - https://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/Steam_Controller/ . It's highly customize-able, but again, is just emulating mouse and keyboard inputs.