Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can't select faces to shell

biscuitladbiscuitlad Member Posts: 8
Hi - I must be missing something obvious here, but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I create a sketch profile for a lampshade and rotate around a vertical axis.  Next, I want to shell it, but although I can select faces to remove (basically the flat top and bottom) prior to the shell command, when the dialogue box appears, I can no longer select those faces.  What's up?  How can I shell this rotation?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @biscuitlad

The picture looks your revolve is a surface, which explains why the shell feature is not working for you.  I would recommend closing the profile(if not already) and make sure the revolve generates a "solid" part.  Once this happens, feel free to use the shell command.

W

imagine.create.deliver

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I just had a play around, mine work fine with flat faces but didn't work as well when I changed these to splines. Not sure if I completely understand your problem though.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • biscuitladbiscuitlad Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2015
    Hi Bruce - not sure how you did your profile line without splines?  Did you do the rotation of a just line, not an enclosed sketch?  Mine looks like this, and I can't select any of the faces.image
  • cyclonewadecyclonewade OS Professional, Mentor, Developers Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @biscuitlad

The picture looks your revolve is a surface, which explains why the shell feature is not working for you.  I would recommend closing the profile(if not already) and make sure the revolve generates a "solid" part.  Once this happens, feel free to use the shell command.

W

imagine.create.deliver
    edited May 2015
    cyclonewade !  I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong - I knew it had to be something obvious....  ;-)
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Biscuitlad : once you accept an answer, it gets shunted to the top of the thread, out of sequence (which I personally think is a bad move, but the forum software may be some sort of package deal ;-) 

This makes it particularly important to at least name the person you are replying to, or (better still, because one person may have posted many times) quote the part of their message that you are replying to
    OK, I did notice it did something weird.  Edited my orginal reply, I'll know next time. :-)