Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can one project geometry on to a plane?

mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
I would like to project elements of a sketch on to a plane that is parallel with the sketch plane. I created a plane that is parallel to the sketch plane. I then invoked the "sketch" command to create a new sketch (call it "sketch 2").  I specified the new (offset) plane as the sketch plane for sketch 2. Now I'm stumped. How can I project some of the geometry in the original sketch on to the plane associated with sketch 2?

Of course, it is entirely possible that my approach is incorrect. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    mark_proulxmark_proulx Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Thanks, Jake. I figured it out yesterday, but it's nice to see my discovery confirmed.
  • Options
    Wes_VinsonWes_Vinson Member Posts: 1
    Is there a way to project onto a plane while specifying the projection axis? For example, I have a sketch on the x-plane and then a second sketch plane rotated 45 degrees. When using "Use", the projection is automatically done along the axis normal to the second sketch plane (which is 45 degrees off the x-axis); however, I'd like the projection to take place along the x-axis.
  • Options
    lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 693
    No sketch command. You can extrude the sketch in x-plane into a surface and in the second sketch use Intersect command ( Drop-down under Use).