Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Flexibility of Patterned Sub Assemblies

BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
Hi There, 

I was informed by Onshape support that the flexibility of sub-assemblies is removed once they are patterned. I am looking for an alternative. 

Ideally, if I move one of these camera brackets, the other three will follow. I have tried linking the sub-assembly slider mates with a linear relation in the top-level assembly, but that doesn't seem to work. 

Any ideas on how to achieve this? I would definitely like to keep the sub assembly. I know if I built it all within the top-level assembly and patterned it, the motion would be possible, but this would create a pretty messy BOM. 

Comments

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Are they individually assembled rather than patterned? I tried a simple test with a linear relation at the top level and it worked.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • BMcGaffeyBMcGaffey Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    NeilCooke said:
    Are they individually assembled rather than patterned? I tried a simple test with a linear relation at the top level and it worked.
    Hey Neil, thanks for the quick reply! 

I am probably missing something, if I assemble 2 instances of the sub assembly into the top level assembly, then try to add a linear relation between the slider mates in the sub assemblies, it breaks. 

Should I be going about this differently? 
    I can take a look if you want? Share it with me with edit rights - ncooke@onshape.com
    NeilCooke said:
    I can take a look if you want? Share it with me with edit rights - ncooke@onshape.com
    Done, thanks! 
    Changed linear relation to "reverse" and it works - not sure why it wouldn't before?
    NeilCooke said:
    Changed linear relation to "reverse" and it works - not sure why it wouldn't before?
    I wonder if it has something to do with the limits set on the slider mate? But regardless, thank you for the super swift help. 

Cheers, 
    NeilCooke said:
    I wonder if it has something to do with the limits set on the slider mate? But regardless, thank you for the super swift help. 

Cheers, 
    It may well be - we use a different method to solve assemblies with limits. If you don't mind creating a support ticket and sharing that doc with them it would be useful for us to track down what the issue is.