Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Basic sheet metal part construction

Marc_MillerMarc_Miller Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
Hello all.
I haven't used sheet metal in Onshape before and wanted to ask how others would go about modeling this simple bent bracket? See attached sketch.

What route should I take to model this?  Will be using 1/16" Aluminum.
Thank you for having a look.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    Answer ✓
    Assuming the positions of the holes are the most important factor, this is probably the best/easiest way to do it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/51578fc4c7a75594928c5b6d/w/02c5fb240941ebc111d93b4f/e/672bd57c2bef1b37a217c1f2

BTW the last sketch was done on the flat pattern (tab on right of screen)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @NeilCooke you are so darn extremely helpful.  This one simple example is great.  Cheers mate.
  • Options
    NikNYCNikNYC Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Also, more direct is a featurescript for shaped flanges:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/602655eff016f183fc184978

Oddly the example above in this thread I cannot view the magical sketch being used on an iPhone:

Ah, the sketch exists within the sheet metal flat pattern screen that is inaccessible on mobile, which is why it can indeed magically operate on two orthogonal surfaces in one move.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    @nik_willmore True, I sent my my coworker Neil's above example and he couldn't view the last sketch on the flat pattern on his iPad. 

@NeilCooke Will the sheet metal flat pattern eventually be able to be viewed on phones/ipads?

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,377
    @Marc_Miller - I don't know the answer to that. The answer will be yes, but not soon. It's not a trivial undertaking - all features that are in the side panel (sheet metal, configurations, BOMs) are all affected on mobile so it is important for many tasks. Creating an improvement request will be the best way to prioritize it.

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Ok, thank you.