Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to add edge to helix sweep?

omri_romri_r Member Posts: 10
Hi!

I'm have a sweep along helix over a cylinder.

Depends on the helical pitch, some time I get an edge on the inner part of the sweep and some time I don't.

I actually need this edge because I use it for tangent mate a ball into the bottom of the helix in an assembly.

Here are images to explain.

With helical pitch of 14mm I get the following with edge in the inner part of the thread (I need this edge):

With helical pitch of 16mm I get the following (no edge inside the center of the thread):

Is there a way to add the edge to the 16mm pitch?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c1fb23babb4668e97ce5a361/w/8cd120f13393056585a21bf4/e/c557c043baf4e8974edace76

Any help would be really appreciated.

Omri

Comments

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @omri_r

I simply added a split line to your contour and did two sweeps, one with each region of the sketch.  Is that what you are after?

I do not know why different sizes give you the split automatically...

www.accuratepattern.com
  • omri_romri_r Member Posts: 10
    Thank you very much (also for the fast response)!

I haven't tried that yet.

At the end, the goal I want to achieve is to use tangent mate a ball into the helix thread.

The edge was a work around since from some reason I got error when tried to tangent mate the ball surface to the thread surface.

If you have any idea why I get this error and how to do it right, this would be excellent.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c1fb23babb4668e97ce5a361/w/8cd120f13393056585a21bf4/e/74d56c1158535498da0cb145