Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Release Configuration Option Inside of Assemblies

Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
Going forward at our company, we only want to use released models. Versions, of course, will be used for development, but releases will be the control for the models. Part configurations are fairly straight forward in their release management to where you pick your options from the tables you've created and release it. It only works well when it comes to parts, however. The moment we try to use assembly configurations with release management, the entire structure falls apart. Let's say you have a rectangular support bracket that is bolted together at the corners and its size varies with each location its used in. With versions, works great. If we release the individual pieces and try to use them, it no longer becomes configurable. That translates to us needing to insert each release to their respective locations and create mates for each piece. The mates won't allow a suppressed model to be used, or otherwise that might be a workaround, but only slightly.

What we would need is the ability to make releases a configuration option, allowing us to switch between releases that are inside of the model. Otherwise, releasing configured assemblies with released models does not work. The amount of time needed to insert and mate together each piece makes it unusable in the time that it is needed.

Thank you for your time =D

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @Michael_Coffee - I was reading your other thread about this topic and was looking for your improvement request so that I could vote on it. I only found this post, though. 

Is there a separate post somewhere I can vote on?
  • Options
    Ironically, this was suppose to be the improvement request, but it was moved to the current category. I only noticed it this week that it was in here, so I messaged Onshape and am waiting for a reply back. Thank you for your interest though =)

In the mean time, I'll post the link to the original discussion.

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Looking forward to hopefully voting. 
  • Options
    lougallolougallo Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 2,001
    @Michael_Coffee So in summary would you say this is simply the option to switch configurations between other released configurations?
    Lou Gallo / PD/UX - Support - Community / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    lougallo said:
    @Michael_Coffee So in summary would you say this is simply the option to switch configurations between other released configurations?
    In essence, yes.
  • Options
    Lucas_KuhnsLucas_Kuhns Member, csevp Posts: 88 PRO
    The moment we try to use assembly configurations with release management, the entire structure falls apart.
    We deal with the exact same thing. I just know I can never use the released items if they are configured. We use layers upon layers of configurations for our products (configured parts, making configured sub-sub assemblies, making configured sub-assemblies, making configured assemblies!)