Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problems with dimensions when importing

I created something with all the dimensions in inches and exported it as an STL file. When importing it into my 3d printing software (XYZ printing) to print out it shows up extremely small, tenths of a mm small. It notifies me the object it very or too small and offers to convert it into mm with larger dimensions. When I do try to convert it it is then given huge dimensions that take up the entire printer. Why is it doing this and why aren't the original dimensions being kept? 

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think STL files have measurement systems defined. So, any conversion unit issues have to be occurring before the file is exported, or while it's being imported. 

First, make sure your workspace units are indeed inches. Onshape allows you to type in something like "1 inch" as a dimension, but if the workspace units are mm, the dimension will export as 25.4. 

Second, every printer software I've used asks for the units on import. So, double check to see if there's a unit option you're missing somewhere when you import the file. 
  • Options
    jonas_mustejonas_muste Member Posts: 1
    If you export obj it wil keep the original size. I've had the same problem but you can select obj instead of STL.
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Also, Cura assumes millimeters by default, so you can export as STL as long as you have mm selected. Then, just drag'n'drop the download into Cura and it should open it at the right scale.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev