Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Engineering Revisions

JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
Can anyone point me to how/if engineering revisions (X1, X2, ...) are used in Onshape? I haven't enabled revision management yet but in looking at it, it doesn't appear to have X1 revisions first prior to Release A/1.  Anyone have experience here or recommendations for how they do this in their company?

Best Answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    You can create your own revision scheme in your company settings. You basically have to upload a list of all of the desired revision levels as a .txt document, if I remember correctly. 

When you release something, the system will automatically increment to the next revision level, but you can over-ride it and set it to whatever you need. 

Check out "Setting revision and part number preferences" section here: https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/release_setup.htm
  • JollyJolly Member Posts: 81 PRO
    Can your part start out as one revision scheme then go to another? At some point an engineering revision part will move to a revision A. But that's just my experience in past jobs.  How do you (you personally) do engineering releases in Onshape? Do your machine shop drawings on prototype parts just contain the Version Number/ID instead? And only later when it goes to Rev A is it release controlled?
  • bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    Answer ✓
    @Jolls You can do so with the same revision scheme as long as you put them in the logical, successive order that you'd imagine them switching between. With the revision scheme you are allowed to 'jump' revisions to another valid one further down the line so in your scheme you should list out all possibilities: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-using-onshapes-custom-revision-scheme
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln

I think that's perfect. Thanks! I'll just do that with an X01 to X99 then proceed to A....  Thanks a bunch. I'm new here but after 15 years of Solidworks I'm totally digging OS.
    For the record, after trying out the custom revision scheme, I think I will actually go back to standard revision without the X engineering revs, and just use manual control of engineering revisions via the Properties window. The Revision control doesn't work how I'd expect in this regard and doesn't add a ton of benefits over manual revision editing while in prototyping stage.
  • andres_dandlerandres_dandler Member Posts: 17 PRO
    @Jolls, you seem to have a history with SolidWorks and revision management.  I wrote a post yesterday that you might be interested in, and maybe it's related to your history with SolidWorks.  Would you mind looking at it?  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/13395/advanced-using-release-management-pdm-and-a-plm-system-side-by-side#latest

-Andres
    Thanks! I'll take a look