Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a "dot" on the cross point of virtual lines?

I'm sorry if I will overlap the same question.

I'm working on making a small wood house.
Then I have to make its drawing for each parts.
Though I've been feeling some inconvenience because I can't make a dot on the cross point of virtual lines.

Is there any method that make a dot on the red points like I showed upper picture?

When I made 3D CAD models, I drew sketches and determined each dimensions with such lines or points.
Even though I can't use the points when I make a drawing.
It's really inconvenient for me...
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    @kaku_yamamoto

Can you use the virtual sharp tool in the drawing?
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You can use a virtual sharp, or add a point and make it coincident to both lines. That point now represents the intersection of those two lines. However, in most cases I don't think you need to use points at all. Every single one of the dimensions shown in the picture above can be created but dimensioning either line-to-line, line-to-cornerpoint, or point-to-point. The extra construction points are not necessary.
  • Options
    kaku_yamamotokaku_yamamoto Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your answers,

Unfortunately I'm feeling that your answers don't work well...

In this case, already I've used "Virtual sharp" at the orange circle area.
    But we can't use "Virtual sharp" for the virtual lines.
    It needs 2 solid/continuous lines of the parts.
    So I think that "Virtual sharp" tool is not work for this issue.

Also I can't use "Dimension" tool for this at least without dots.
    In the upper picture, I was choosing the "Dimension" tool and moved the pointer onto one of a cross point which was made by 2 virtual lines.
    But Onshape doesn't recognize the cross point of virtual lines as a point.
    So I can't specify the dimension with "Dimension" tool only.

If I can make dots on the drawing, could you tell me which tool enable that from among the green circled area?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    Is this a part or assembly?

If it is a part. You can draw what you need in the part studio as a sketch. Then show the sketch in the view and selecting 'show/hide sketches'
  • Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected. I don't use Onshape drawings much. I must have assumed most sketch tools were available in drawings. Apparently, they're not.
  • Options
    Is this a part or assembly?
    This is not "Part Studio". Of course also not "Assembly".
    We are talking about a story on "Drawing".
    I'm suffering because I'm being preventing a way to fill the same dimension in which I wrote on the sketch when "Part Studio".

Indeed also there is an option; "Show / Hide sketches" on "Drawing".
    Exclusively I can make drawing with it. 
    But how do you create drawing for a part which was figured out by using "Copy part" or "Mirror" on the "Part studio"?

mahir said:
    I stand corrected. I don't use Onshape drawings much. I must have assumed most sketch tools were available in drawings. Apparently, they're not.
    I thought so too...!
    This is really inconvenient for me...
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,897 PRO
    edited January 2020
    I'm asking about the model IN the drawing view of course.

I mentioned this because you can't show a sketch in a drawing view if it is an assembly.

when you see show hide sketches you will be given the option to overlay that sketch on your part from the part studio it was created.

Similar to an autocad block.

If you mirror or copy the part etc. Then create a new sketch on that mirror part that has the points or construction lines you want to show in the drawing view.

I agree, sketch tools should be available in drawings. But they're not. So this is your best option today. 

From drawing views section of help:

• Options

I agree, sketch tools should be available in drawings. But they're not. So this is your best option today. 
    I've got agree to this sentence.
    Perhaps it is not straight ball, but also I can solve the issue instantly.

Appreciate you, and all of other respondents for this thread.
    Really thank you all.