Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extending Centermark beyond the edges of a circle

chad_miarschad_miars Member Posts: 1
Is there a method for extending the centermark beyond the edges of a circle? The centermark feature only inserts a small 'tick' marker at the center, I am looking for a large mark, larger than the diameter of the circle.  Any help is appreciated.  

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    @chad_miars, yes you can do that with the help of 2 point center line option. When defining dimensions for a drawing, you will notice that orange snap points appear when you hover over a line or point. There are 4 types of snap points:
    • Square snap points indicate end points
    • Triangle snap points indicate midpoints
    • Diamond snap points on a quad point of a circle or arc indicate one of the quadrants of the circle (User need to select diamond snap for defining center line for circle)
    • Circle snap points indicate an arc or circle's center
    Please refer below video for more detail.

• H_WangH_Wang Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    But when you have say 20 of these center marks, this is very time consuming, any other solutions?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, not really

If it is a single part (not assembly)  then you can add them in a sketch in your part studio and show sketch in the drawing view.

Only slightly faster due to being able to sketch and constraints being quicker is partstudios
  • marc_nelson875marc_nelson875 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    I agree!  Not an ideal situation to draw every line in individually. 

<pulls out T-square and triangles>

Enhancement request time!
  • T_RathierT_Rathier Member Posts: 43 EDU
    There are 2 issues involved here.

One is that the center mark in Onshape only puts in a small cross. The center mark should have an option to extend it just past the edges of the arc or circle.

The second one is that 2-point centerlines in Onshape do not recognize the quadrant points of anything less than a 360-degree circle. So, if I want to add centerlines to a shaft hole that has a keyway, I cannot pick quadrant points to do so. Adding centerlines is standard practice for drafting, so this is sorely missed.